How will it run

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by wingman411, Jun 18, 2003.

1. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

We are upgrading our computers to windows xp pro and office xp pro. My question is how well will it run on a 300mz celeron cpu, clean install, 128MB of ram?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Not very well. :(

3. Luna64

Luna64 Guest

I wonder if it will even boot :-/

4. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

It will boot as I have tried it before. But .. erm, it will take a very long time to boot, let alone to run its services, and any other task that you are going to do. For the time that you will waste in waiting for the computer to perform the functions that you want it to .. let alone to install and patch it, : ( ain't worth it and does not justify at all.

Advise: Stick with Win98SE if you're gonna run on Celeron 300. Even Win2K would be too much resource taking for the poor Celeron processor.

5. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

If you're gonna do it anyway, the least you can do is upgrade your RAM. 128MB is the minimum recommended to run XP, and 256MB is actually encouraged. For your system, I would put in at least 256MB more... or the max your system will take. Since it's a 300MHZ, it probably won't take any more than 512MB. But anyway... you need to upgrade the RAM, otherwise don't upgrade to XP period.

6. wingman411

wingman411 OSNN Senior Addict

max ram is 256, 2 slots some of the coputers in the lab are 333 amd cpus and some are 300 mz pentium II's. We are also planning on running Office XP

7. muzikool

muzikool Act your wage. Political User

Well then, definitely put in another stick of 128 if you can... cause you're gonna need it. :eek:

8. daddyo

daddyo OSNN Addict

I installed XP on an AMD K6-266 and it worked fine, although it was a bit slow. The saving grace was that I had 512 Meg of ram.

9. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Very slow mate, very slow.

10. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

I had xp on a 400mhz AMD with 128mb ram ran fine slow but was steady :)

11. RagnaroK

RagnaroK Must be dreaming...

:eek:
    Lag... lots of lag... :p

12. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

If you can, get a RAM upgrade and then install XP.
    If you can't get more RAM, install Win2k instead. :)

13. SkazzyUK

SkazzyUK XP-erience Oldie

XP can be wierd sometimes, I have xp running really well on a P3 450, 96mb ram. It ran very well considering :)

Skazz

14. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Indeed .. different people have different perspective on how well a system is running. I even installed Win XP into a Pentium 233MMX with a 512MB RAM PC and it worked just fined. Had Office XP running too, but the workstation is basically for word processing, typing some letters and assignments, and definately surfing the internet. It was a Siemens Nixdorff if I am not mistaken : )