How vital is Windows Search Indexer to Vista?

Discussion in 'Windows Applications' started by joyojoy, Feb 6, 2009.

1. joyojoy

joyojoy Not all there...

Meh... switching to Vista 64-bit system has been such a PITA! In addition to the email and internet issues, now my QuarkXpress program doesn't like to access printers (I can't even get as far as the print dialog box). So the one solution I've found to make the printers work in Quark 8 is to turn off the Windows Search Indexer. Problem solved... I think. But am I going to have other problems because of this? I can't find any documentation indicating just how important this utility really is.

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

I only used windows search on a couple of occasions, but leave it indexed for the simple fact that you never know when you will need it ..

3. assclown

assclown OSNN Citizen Man

You should not have any problems at all. Lots of people diable it anyhow. Weird about your printer problem. I have Indexing disabled on my x64 and never have any issues arise from that.

4. joyojoy

joyojoy Not all there...

Thanxomuch! I'll keep it disabled, and if I start having any problems I'll just restart it.

You guys rock!

5. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

first thing i turn off - i place all my files where i know i can find them :)

6. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I can't live without it tbh :)

Helps me find all my files quickly and I haven't noticed a performance hit.