How To ....

M

Mark-XP

disable the windows key on my keyboard, in game play if you accidently hit it in game freezes the game and it is a problem.
I have TweakUI/XP I got from MS website but can't find a way to fix this problem.
Thanks , Mark :eek:

Always Make Backups

Welcome to NTFS
;)
Disable the Windows Key

Create a new Binary value, or modify the existing value, called "Scancode Map" and set it according to the value data below.

System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout]
Value Name: Scancode Map
Data Type: REG_BINARY (Binary Value)
Value Data: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 03 00 00 00 00 00 5B E0 00 00 5C E0 00 00 00 00

& reboot

:cool:

:( thanks but I'm new to XP and don't want to mess up the reg. after finally getting it to work .
Got a new m/b cpu and had a power supply blow (to small) and killed my 60 gig drive and all 40 gigs of data on it so I afraid to mess the system up since it's running now.
I'll have to figure out something else to fix it, a friend said get a pair of pliers and rip it out .... :rolleyes:
not quit that bad yet.
Thanks for the quick reply........
Mark

Mark - while you are right to be cautious about editing the registry (especially if it's the first time), you need not be fearful ;)

Just create a restore point or back up the registry manually (export) before making the change, and then go ahead and follow TwoZ's advice. If you take your time and do it carefully, you won't hurt anything. And the backup (or restore point) is your safety net.

WoooHooo!!!!!!!!
It worked :D :D :D
Thanks ... you guys ROCK

There you go - you just did your first successful registry tweak. ;) Congratulations.

Almost as satisfying as breaking 90 for the first time! ;)

Just what I was looking for. I keep hitting the damn winkey all the time. Total pain in the butt. :D

Alot of games have it disabled, or an option to do so, but yeah, definatly feel the pain.

Best ones are the ones that refuse to maximise again, or if they do go to 16 colours or so. It is always hours away from a save point too.

I use it but while I'm playing HL2 I might disable it. I hit 2 or 3 times a session.

I had a friend who disabled his windows key by ripping it off of his keyboard... HAHA. He hated that thing. I can't live without mine. WIN+D, WIN+R, WIN+E I use them all.

For those of you who don't know...

WIN+D = Show/Hide Desktop
WIN+R = Opens Run Box
WIN+E = Opens Explorer
WIN+L = Log off
WIN+M = Minimize all Windows

use the attached program. Unzip the contents to a folder. Run the exe once to disable the win key and run it again enable it

Attachments

• WKeyKill.zip
    5.9 KB · Views: 34
I use the simple solution to the windows key. I buy keyboards that don't have one.

:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back