How to transfer files from one pc to another using cat5 pc to pc cable

Don_Choa

OSNN Junior Addict
Can someone give me a detail steps to follow guide (maybe include which port to use, how to setup the connection). I think I'm doing the right steps, but I just cant get the things to right.
Thanks you in advance.

Welcome to the forum :D

You might have better luck in the Networking thread

Moved to Networking

No need welcome, im an old veteran always asking questions. I just register since this forum upgraded. its nice btw.

You using Crossover patch cable?

A crossover cable can be used to connect two computers directly together without the need for a network hub or switch.

See this page for more info on creating a network using crossover cable.

Do you have a regular cat5 or do you have a crossover cable? If you got a crossover cable you can just hook the 2 computers together and transfer files back and forth like a network ... if you have a regular cat5 you need something like a hub or router connecting the 2 computers.

Xie said:
Do you have a regular cat5 or do you have a crossover cable? If you got a crossover cable you can just hook the 2 computers together and transfer files back and forth like a network ... if you have a regular cat5 you need something like a hub or router connecting the 2 computers.

I have a crossover cat5 where is written from PC to PC.
Its the transfer files back and forth that i dunnot how to do it.

Can you do anything with the connection between the PC's? Like share internet?

If yes, do this:
1). Set the hard drives to shared on both computers (Open my computer on both PCs, right click the HD, select sharing and security, select sharing tab, click the scary warnign message link, check the box under Network sharing and security, click ok.) You also have to turn off your firewall or open it to "allow access over your Local network".
2). You should now be able to see the hard dsik od the other computer in explorer or my computer. Just drag and drop the files like they were on the same PC.
3).When done transfering files set sharing back to not shared for security.

If not, then you need to establish the connection which is a lot more work.

The computer guy who sold me the cable told me that all I need is this cable then use the file sharing wizard already installed with win_xp. But when it come the time to identify the COM port, it stop there for eternity.

cat5 doesnt use a comp port, it uses a netowrk card. Totally different. COM is usually for serial connections.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back