How to take a screen capture of a movie file under XP?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Rigsta, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Rigsta

Rigsta OSNN Addict

Using the print screen key does copy the screen, but has bizarre results when I paste it into a paint program. If the file is still playing, the copied image will also move in the image editor. Even saving the file while the movie is paused doesn't work.

2. Cosmin

Cosmin Graphic Designer

try ctr+alt+printscreen = will capture only the active window.

3. Rigsta

Rigsta OSNN Addict

Same result. Pressing ctrl isn't necessary btw, just alt+PrtScr

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

what media player are you using? I ask because the ones i use to watch movies and other video files have an image capture option.

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

this whole thing has to do with overlays. overlays can't be captured in a normal fashion and i'm not aware of other ways... short of getting a program that allows it.

i have an old riva tnt that allows overlays to be turned off which allows printscreen to work, but newer cards don't have this for some reason.

and i experienced the movie playing in mspaint when i did a printscreen once, rigsta... it was a trip, but then i just realized it had to something with the overlays and detecting where the play window was.

6. Rigsta

Rigsta OSNN Addict

Darn. WinDVD can only capture from DVDs (I'm using it to play DivX files 'cos it's faster than DivX player Alpha and the WMP progress bar sucks ass).

WMP doesn't seem to have a capture feature, how surprising (not). :mad:

If anyone knows a DivX player that can take screen captures, let me know, please :)

Thanks all for replying ^_^

7. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

powerdvd xp does a good job.

8. Rigsta

Rigsta OSNN Addict

With DivX files or just DVDs? :)

9. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Any type... dvd, divx, avi, mpg... everything i just tested gave me as good of stills as the quality of file i tried.

10. Rigsta

Rigsta OSNN Addict

Cheers LM :D

11. dep03

dep03 Guest

wow thanks for teaching me about the ALT+Print Screen... i never knew about that one hehe.:D