How To Strengthen A Wireless Signal?

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
hi. i just bought a notebook Dell 9100 with Dell 1350 wireless. My wireless base is located on the 2nd floor east side of the house and i have my wireless notebook located at the 1st floor west side, approximately 20-30 feet horizontal distance. my problem is, i have a very low signal (next to none) and when i try to connect to it by walking closer under the base station i get a good signal but walking towards the west side my signal drops. supposedly, i would have a greater coverage than what i am experiencing right now. is there a way to boost your wireless pickup signal aside from going near it? thanks a lot. :eek:

I do believe if you Google for a pringles can and wireless you will come up with quite a few links :p (I kid you not!)

Pringles can's are useless, they hold nothing but novel value. You're much better off using an can made entirely from metal (for example, some large coffee tins.) or even a normal kitchen sieve. Take a look at this page for information on parabolic mesh dishes: http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

Agreed. I've tried the Pringles can, and it made little to no difference.
tongue.gif

Repeater's are a waste of money when a simple antenna can be home-made for a fraction of the cost. The antenna may not be as effective, but for most home users, they will suffice, and it's fun to learn ;)

why all these coordinates and directions, just say the router is on teh 1st floor and the computer is on the 2nd....

Borrowing from my two way radio days, the higher the antenna the greater the range and stronger signal.

I'd go for the antenna of the wireless station. Stronger antenna usually provides a stronger signal, tried it with my Linksys unit, no problem up and down 3 floors though : )

FishBoy said:
why all these coordinates and directions, just say the router is on teh 1st floor and the computer is on the 2nd....

Because saying that could mean it is 8 feet apart. also if he said that, someone would ask for more information, like the distance. I applaud him for giving enough information. Btw the base is on the second floor and the notebook is on the 1st. :p

I bought an antenna, because money is not a problem and it looks good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back