How To Strengthen A Wireless Signal?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percy, Nov 4, 2004.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

hi. i just bought a notebook Dell 9100 with Dell 1350 wireless. My wireless base is located on the 2nd floor east side of the house and i have my wireless notebook located at the 1st floor west side, approximately 20-30 feet horizontal distance. my problem is, i have a very low signal (next to none) and when i try to connect to it by walking closer under the base station i get a good signal but walking towards the west side my signal drops. supposedly, i would have a greater coverage than what i am experiencing right now. is there a way to boost your wireless pickup signal aside from going near it? thanks a lot. :eek:

2. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I do believe if you Google for a pringles can and wireless you will come up with quite a few links :p (I kid you not!)

4. SPeedY_B

Pringles can's are useless, they hold nothing but novel value. You're much better off using an can made entirely from metal (for example, some large coffee tins.) or even a normal kitchen sieve. Take a look at this page for information on parabolic mesh dishes: http://www.usbwifi.orcon.net.nz/

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Agreed. I've tried the Pringles can, and it made little to no difference. [​IMG]

6. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

cool. :)

7. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

just get a repeater

8. SPeedY_B

Repeater's are a waste of money when a simple antenna can be home-made for a fraction of the cost. The antenna may not be as effective, but for most home users, they will suffice, and it's fun to learn ;)

9. why all these coordinates and directions, just say the router is on teh 1st floor and the computer is on the 2nd....

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

11. lynchknot

lynchknot Moderator

Borrowing from my two way radio days, the higher the antenna the greater the range and stronger signal.

12. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

I'd go for the antenna of the wireless station. Stronger antenna usually provides a stronger signal, tried it with my Linksys unit, no problem up and down 3 floors though : )

13. Bucky Badger

Bucky Badger OSNN Addict

Because saying that could mean it is 8 feet apart. also if he said that, someone would ask for more information, like the distance. I applaud him for giving enough information. Btw the base is on the second floor and the notebook is on the 1st. :p

I bought an antenna, because money is not a problem and it looks good.