How to stay up-to-date on releases:

chaos945

OSNN Senior Addict
Here are some tips on how I stay up-to-date on application releases.

Most of the programs I use are open source and therefore are on sourceforge.com, if you are unfamiliar with sourceforge it is a very popular open source software development website. Having that said they have made it very easy for registered users to track all sorts of information on their website.

For example, say I want to track 7-Zip's progress, I can just sign in, go to the 7-Zip project page, then click on the little 'monitor envelope' under 'summary' and my account will now track any revision changes to this program and email me when one is released. You can track other things besides releases but I'll let you figure those out since they are off topic.

Another useful site for tracking is the BetaNews site, with its recent website overhauls you can now track applications and be emailed updates if you specify. The great thing is, you can submit new applications if they are not in the large database of programs that are already listed. I know myself I use it to track those non-open source programs such as Ad-Aware reference files and the like. This site is not as handy as SourceForge since it still relies on other users to submit releases, but most of the time its pretty much up-to-date.

One last thing you can do is go to the software developer's homepage and see if they have a mailing list setup, if they do not have an official mailing list setup try to contact the authour and get them to put you on one.

I hope this helps some of you to stay on the bleeding edge without having to scour the web.

Resources:
BetaNews.com
SourceForge

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 63
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back