How to setup DMA to dvd-drives...

percy

OSNN Senior Addict
I have a problem. My pc plays all mpeg and vob files or any other video files with a background static sound. I had tried playing the videos with powerdvd, nero or mediaplayer and they all had static sound. But when you play mp3's, the sound is ok. How can I setup my dvd-drives to play without the static sound, DMA setup? Thanks.

what codect is being used on the video files? id try reinstalling that first. Maybe AC3?

I haven't check the codecs. The videos that I am playing are movie dvds and never had a problem before. I will try to install AC3 and see if it works. Thanks.

AC3 didn't work either. Statis sound is still present. :(

1) Open the sound slider panel and make sure none of the sliders are above 50-60%. If the preamps in the sound card are set too high they can cause distortion.

2) First make sure your MB built in sound is disabled in bios. If not disable it and try again.

3) Download a player called vlc. It is freeware and plays everything I've ever thrown at it. See if that has the static also.

If that does not have static then it is a driver issue. The only way to clean up driver issues is to clean house. Even if vlc has static then it still may be a driver issue.

First make sure you have copies of all your program and driver CD's. If anything is missing download it from the website support.

Uninstall the sound card in device manager. Uninstall powerdvd and windows media player and any other audio players. If any codecs show up in add/remove programs delete them also.

Now reinstall the SBlive using the install cd and just powerdvd or vlc. Play a DVD and see if it is noisy. If it is still noise remove the SBlive and try the on board sound. If the on board sound is ok then you may have a problem with the SBlive card. It could still be drivers though, especially if the on board sound drivers are conflicting with the SBlive. At this point you have 3 options:
-You can go back in with a registry cleaner and try and remove all the drivers
-You can reinstall a clean copy of windows.
-You can try another SBlive card and see if it is noisy too.

Somewhere I have a utility stashed that detects and lisst all your codecs. I'l go looking for it.

Found it:
mmview.exe allows you to view and remove all your codecs.

gspot.exe allows you to view all codecs and detect which ones are required for a particular media file. It does not allow codec deletion.

Last edited:
I have a similar problem except the movie (DVD-R) runs really slow!! and the sound is distorted. I play the DVD-R on a DVD player and it is just fine. What is the problem?? Thanks

I will follow your instructions LeeJend and I will post what will happen. Thanks.

had installed vlc but still there is static. i will post other results later. :(

Try with a set of headphones instead of the speakers just to rule out the speakers. I doubt it is the speakers.

Also, did you make sure the onboard sound on the MB is turned off in Bios?

After that it is most likely a driver or CODEC problem.

The long painful process to clean up the software is:
-Check for Bios updates to the MB. If it fixes PCI or sound problems install it.
-Install the latest MB drivers (you did not mention what MB/chipset it is).
-Install the latest SBlive drivers.

If this does not work you need to uninstall and reinstall all the players (powerdvd, windows media, etc.) The alternative is to use mmview to delete audio codecs and then reinstall just the codecs.

The "kazaa lite codec pack" contains most of the codecs used for multimedia.
http://www.k-litecodecpack.com/

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back