How to set a Router as a hub

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sinster, Apr 20, 2006.

1. Sinster

Sinster Moderator

I have an old NetGear 814v2 that I would like to setup as a hub. This is what I'm trying to do. I have a CCTV stand Alone DVR and would like to view it from a computer and record to computer if need be. These are the options I have in the DVR

Client Access Enable [Yes]
    DHCP ON [NO]
    DNS
    IP
    Gateway
    Subnet Mask
    MAC Address

All the computers on the system are assigned ip's. Where the DVR is at I have to use a hub and I don't have a hub. I'm using a Belkin Pre-N router as my router. I filled out the information in the DVR as though I was setting up a computer on the Network. For some reason I can't access it.

I think my problem that I added a IP to the router that I want to use as a hub.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2006
  2. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Make sure you ARE N0T using the Internet Port (also labelled WAN). Just use the uplink port, if there isn't a uplink then the ports MAY be auto detect the cable setup.

Since you don't need to access the web config when using it as a switch I won't go into setting that up (just need to change the IP (one thats used to access the config) of the router to an unused IP on your network, ex. 192.168.0.1)