how to rename cdrom drives?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by fantasi, Sep 11, 2004.

1. fantasi

fantasi My Yngy is My HoneY! Folding Team

i used to have a zip disk on drive F of my computer. And to make it easier for the eyes, i just right clicked it and renamed it to "zip Disk (F:)". I however didnt use it anymore and decided to buy a new cdrom. in its place is now the same thing, however it still says zip disk. How do i change it back to default or if i want to, change it to "Cd-Burner (F:)" . ive tried right clicking and it doesnt work. =(

2. E-kLiPsE

E-kLiPsE OSNN Junkie

Hmm, is it somewhere in removable storage? Right-click My Computer> Manage> Storage> Removable Storage> find your drive and edit its properties??? I could be way off, just guesswork.

3. Skwowwy

Skwowwy 1337ness

Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Disk Management -> Rightclick your CD drive -> Change drive letter and paths -> Change -> Select letter -> Ok -> Ok. :)

4. Cupid_Stunt

Cupid_Stunt OSNN Addict

Here's a script to do the job

Copy it to notepad, then save it changing the file extension to vbs.

On Error Resume Next

'Declare variables
    Dim WSHShell, p, strDrive, strLabel

strDrive = Inputbox("Enter the CD drive letter you wish to change the label for:","Enter Drive Letter","X")

If strDrive = "" Then
    WScript.Quit
    End If

strLabel = Inputbox("Enter the label for this drive in Explorer","Enter Drive Label","CD Burner")

If strLabel = "" Then
    WScript.Quit
    End If

'Set the Windows Script Host Shell and assign values to variables
    Set WSHShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    p = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\DriveIcons\"& strDrive & "\DefaultLabel\"
    WshShell.RegWrite p, strLabel

Set WshShell = Nothing

MsgBox "You must log off/log on, or reboot for the change to take effect.", 4096,"Finished"