How to o/c a 2500 barton

kingsam

OSNN Addict
Hi ive got a amd 2.5 barton,on a asus a7n8x deluxe with the retail fan which came with it,any ideas & help to overclock it a bit without changing the fan?

i wouldn't advise overclocking with the retail heatsink and fan, every system i've ever setup with them runs fairly hot without overclocking them. I suggest spending a few bucks on a thermalright sk-7 and decent fan, the HSF isn't expensive and for the price i have yet to see better. sk-7 can be found for about $20 and any 80mm fan will do fairly decent.

Like Yharn said probably not a good idea with retail fan.

Check the CPU and MB temperature in bios or the ASUS utility during surfing and right after heavy gaming:

Surfing CPU <45 Deg C
Gaming CPU <52 deg C
Case temp should be <35-37 deg C when surfing.

If below these limits you have a little room for overclocking.

Take it up using the multiplier one step at a time and watch the temperature. Temperature will go up a little with each speed increase. Keep it under 58 deg C when gaming for lowest risk and best stability. Remember the thermal diodes aren't all that accurate. It may crash at some point. Cut it back 2 steps if that happens. That's the limit for your chip. Watch for thermal runa-away where temp goes up real fast. Kill it if that happens.

If you want to overclock get a real HSF and silver filled thermal paste.

Now that I've explained all that - why bother.
The change from 2500 to 2800 isn't worth the effort.
Even 3000 isn't much of an improvement.

do what i did. overclock and lower the voltage! (see sig; 12x166=2000mhz @ 1.575volts) you should be able to get away little both like i did and end up with lower temps than stock. :)

at least it'll do until you buy a new hsf later. something i need to do.

i have the same setup. . 2500xp with a A7N8X Deluxe i just overclocked to a 2800 and left it there.. i didnt change the fans, its been over 3 months and nothing has gone wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back