How to o/c a 2500 barton

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by kingsam, Nov 17, 2003.

1. kingsam

kingsam OSNN Addict

Hi ive got a amd 2.5 barton,on a asus a7n8x deluxe with the retail fan which came with it,any ideas & help to overclock it a bit without changing the fan?

2. Yharn

Yharn meh.

i wouldn't advise overclocking with the retail heatsink and fan, every system i've ever setup with them runs fairly hot without overclocking them. I suggest spending a few bucks on a thermalright sk-7 and decent fan, the HSF isn't expensive and for the price i have yet to see better. sk-7 can be found for about $20 and any 80mm fan will do fairly decent.

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Like Yharn said probably not a good idea with retail fan.

Check the CPU and MB temperature in bios or the ASUS utility during surfing and right after heavy gaming:

Surfing CPU <45 Deg C
    Gaming CPU <52 deg C
    Case temp should be <35-37 deg C when surfing.

If below these limits you have a little room for overclocking.

Take it up using the multiplier one step at a time and watch the temperature. Temperature will go up a little with each speed increase. Keep it under 58 deg C when gaming for lowest risk and best stability. Remember the thermal diodes aren't all that accurate. It may crash at some point. Cut it back 2 steps if that happens. That's the limit for your chip. Watch for thermal runa-away where temp goes up real fast. Kill it if that happens.

If you want to overclock get a real HSF and silver filled thermal paste.

Now that I've explained all that - why bother.
    The change from 2500 to 2800 isn't worth the effort.
    Even 3000 isn't much of an improvement.

4. Yharn

Yharn meh.

but hitting 400FSB vs. 333FSB is a nice boost

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

do what i did. overclock and lower the voltage! (see sig; 12x166=2000mhz @ 1.575volts) you should be able to get away little both like i did and end up with lower temps than stock. :)

at least it'll do until you buy a new hsf later. something i need to do.

6. dubstar

dubstar format c:

i have the same setup. . 2500xp with a A7N8X Deluxe i just overclocked to a 2800 and left it there.. i didnt change the fans, its been over 3 months and nothing has gone wrong.