How to move "My Documents"

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tom9042, Mar 27, 2003.

1. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

I just reformated my 60gig HD since I got a new Asus A7N8X MB. I made 2 partitions, a 15gig for XP and software and 45gig for all data and files. XP put the "My Documents" folders in the C drive with XP. Can I just drag "My Documents" to the D drive or do I have to move it another way, since it acts like part of windows?

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Use cut & paste. Right click my documents/cut then paste it where you want. :)

3. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

I'm having some trouble.
    If I try to cut and past "My Documents" from the desktop, there is not "cut" function.

Same with trying to cut and past "Tom's Documents" from My Computer.

From the C drive, if I try to cut and paste "Documents and Settings", it tells me "Documents and Settings is a Windows System folder and is required for Windows to run properly. It cannot be moved or renamed".

Should I not worry and just change the path for saving in each program? What about email, favorites, etc.

4. jrcairo

jrcairo OSNN Addict

The Easy way you can do is right-click My Documents Folder and change the target (EX. E:\My Documents) and VoilĂ !!! Your My Documents folder will show on the new partition!!!
    Good Luck!

5. yoyo

yoyo _________________

Don't try cut and paste with the shortcuts on desktop or in MyComputer. In Explorer go to C:\Documents and Settings\Tom(guessing here) and find the My Documents folder. Now either rightclick, cut and paste to the new location or open the target folder and drag with right mouse button and choose 'move'.
    You can not move the whole 'Documents and Settings' folder.