HOW to measure your actual internet speed???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by percy, Nov 6, 2004.

1. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

hi. is there a program that measures how fast you are currently connected to the internet (actual reading)? i maybe connected to a 100Mbps or 54 or 11 but this is the transfer rate, right, not the speed connection to the internet? how would i know if i am really just connected to the internet between 2-4 Mbps? thanks.

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

No that's the connection speed, I would guess, you have to your router (100 wired, 54 and 11 wireless). There are some speed test sites, but I never found them very accurate. But at least they give som indication. Here in Sweden there's a program called TPTest that works very well, but I don't think it gives accurate results outside Sweden.

http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/
    http://www.dslreports.com/stest

3. tibboh

tibboh Arte et Marte

4. koko

koko Got Root?

5. vern

vern Dominus Political User Folding Team

If you are on Windows, and that box is the only box using bandwidth, you could use software like DuMeter or Bandwidth Monitor Pro.

6. i tried that site, but im connected through my school network so will it show me the network speed or the actual connection?

7. dreamworks

dreamworks --== babyface ==--

Doesn't quite matter .. it will show the actual speed I think.

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

It will show the top speed of the slowest part of the network between you and the test servers. That is usually your connection.

9. percy

percy OSNN Senior Addict

WOW. thanks for the links. at least now i know how fast is the internet connection really is. i appreciate it. :)