How to hack shell32.dll

I am having the same trouble with this hack as some of the others. I completely understand the tutorial and have followed it to the letter. But shell32.dll keeps getting replaced with the original. I guess it's locating an original copy from another location besides 'dllcache'.

A follow up...

I worked with this some more and found I had a 'shell32.dll' file in the 'C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386' folder. I renamed this file, and my shell32.dll stopped getting replaced. I renamed the original in the system32 folder, and then started getting the dialogs from Windows XP wanting me to put the XP CD in and from there everything worked great.

Thanks mavis for a great tutorial!

An easier way would be to replace the shell32.dll in command prompt. ALWAYS works for me..

This thread will tell you where 'filelist.xml' is located. Mine is there.

The other one is here>
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache\

Try this little application Replacer, makes system file replacement very much easier. http://www3.telus.net/_/replacer/

Also as my personal opinion I would leave filelist.xml alone. You exclude the files you add there not only from system file protection but also from system restore. It is a not necessary step anyway.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back