How to enable Standby?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Slickone, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Slickone

Slickone Guest

On a system I built for a friend w/ an ECS K7S5A mobo and WinXP Pro, I can't find any way to manually put it in standby or sleep mode. Under Start->Turn Off Computer, the only options are Hibernate, Turn Off, or Restart.

I can make it BIOS to where the system's power switch puts it in standby, but I don't want to have to do it that way, but that shows it's capable of it.

Do I need to set a time for standby in the BIOS before it will be available in the OS? And will the time in XP override the time set in BIOS? I'm not near the PC or I would just check myself. BTW, ACPI is enabled.

Also, when booting after a Hibernation, it takes longer than doing a regular cold boot. Should it?

Thanks.

2. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

this was originally posted by dealer in the 'My Favorite Tweaks' thread.

Hope this helps. ;-)

o_87

3. Slickone

Slickone Guest

So you're this will also fix my (different) problem I asked about, which is to be able to select Standby?

4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Electronica Addict Political User Folding Team

sry about posting in the wrong thread, I dont know about your standby problem.

5. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Yes, if Advanced Power Management(APM) is enabled (as mentioned in the post quoted by o_87), you should be able to use standby as well.

6. Slickone

Slickone Guest

I wont be able to check that PC for a couple days to check, but I do know that it turns off on it's own when you do a shut down in Windows. Does that mean APM is enabled?