How to configure MSN Messenger to Work with Linksys Router?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by fearme, Mar 21, 2002.

1. fearme

fearme Guest

My MSN Messenger was working fine, I was able to transfer data and chat with no problem. Ever since I installed my Linksys AP?Router I have not been able to transfer anything or any conservations, just only text chat. All firewalls are disable in XP, but I'm sure the problems lies in the Linksys Router. Can someone share any related problems or how to fix....

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You'll have to forward some ports in the router. I don't know which ones MSN Messenger use though.
  3. fearme

fearme Guest

If I know the ports how would I do it?
  4. masteryyz

masteryyz Guest

Forward the port(s) to your computer ip, which is 192.168.1.XXX, that should work.
  5. jw50

jw50 OSNN Senior Addict

Go to , that site will tell you all you need to know about port forwarding and anything else you want to know about home networking.
  6. fearme

fearme Guest

7. DarkSiege

DarkSiege Guest

My MSN also has problems with my Linksys Router...please tell me if you can get it to work.
  8. fearme

fearme Guest

OK! This is what I've been able to find out thru Linksys Tech Support and Microsoft Support. According to Linksys they been able to get Msn Messenger Services to work with the wired routers, because of the latest Firmware. The AP/Routers do not have the latest Firmware out yet, but they are working on it. They are not sure by forwarding the MSN Messenger ports will work, but here is how it works for wired and wireless routers.

1st you will need to configured your tcp/ip properties to static
    than get your DNS IP Addresses from your router status setup page. Disable DHCP...This is how it should look.

Once this is configured you should be able to connect to the internet with no problem.

Now! Lets forward the MSN Ports
    Go to your Linksys Router setup page, then go to advance tab, then click on Forwarding. Here are the ports

6891~6900 TCP
    1863~1863 TCP
    1863~1863 UDP
    5190~5190 UDP
    6901~6901 UDP
    6901~6901 TCP

Now! this should work for all wired routers, but my AP router is not working. One last resort, if all else fails! Enter your IP Address in the DMZ , this will bypass your router, basically opening up all ports, so be careful!

Good Luck!
  9. lelu

lelu Guest

For the Linksys BEFSR41, I have been reading that one needs to install the new firmware 1.42.6. It is suppose to work with MSN and ICUII.

I have not used ICUII since I installed my Linksys do to the fact I'm not able to set it up. :(

Always hate to mess with something if it's not broke but guess it's broke if ICUII won't work.

I may try the updated firmware.
  10. fearme

fearme Guest

Yep! According to Linksys the Firmware update will fix that problem. They are currently working on a Firmware for the BEFW11S4....Good Luck!