How to configure MSN Messenger to Work with Linksys Router?

F

fearme

My MSN Messenger was working fine, I was able to transfer data and chat with no problem. Ever since I installed my Linksys AP?Router I have not been able to transfer anything or any conservations, just only text chat. All firewalls are disable in XP, but I'm sure the problems lies in the Linksys Router. Can someone share any related problems or how to fix....

Thanks

You'll have to forward some ports in the router. I don't know which ones MSN Messenger use though.

Forward the port(s) to your computer ip, which is 192.168.1.XXX, that should work.

My MSN also has problems with my Linksys Router...please tell me if you can get it to work.

OK! This is what I've been able to find out thru Linksys Tech Support and Microsoft Support. According to Linksys they been able to get Msn Messenger Services to work with the wired routers, because of the latest Firmware. The AP/Routers do not have the latest Firmware out yet, but they are working on it. They are not sure by forwarding the MSN Messenger ports will work, but here is how it works for wired and wireless routers.

1st you will need to configured your tcp/ip properties to static
than get your DNS IP Addresses from your router status setup page. Disable DHCP...This is how it should look.

DNS
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Once this is configured you should be able to connect to the internet with no problem.

Now! Lets forward the MSN Ports
Go to your Linksys Router setup page, then go to advance tab, then click on Forwarding. Here are the ports

6891~6900 TCP 192.168.1.10
1863~1863 TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.10
1863~1863 UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.10
5190~5190 UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.10
6901~6901 UDP xxx.xxx.xxx.10
6901~6901 TCP xxx.xxx.xxx.10

Now! this should work for all wired routers, but my AP router is not working. One last resort, if all else fails! Enter your IP Address in the DMZ , this will bypass your router, basically opening up all ports, so be careful!

Good Luck!

For the Linksys BEFSR41, I have been reading that one needs to install the new firmware 1.42.6. It is suppose to work with MSN and ICUII.

I have not used ICUII since I installed my Linksys do to the fact I'm not able to set it up. :(

Always hate to mess with something if it's not broke but guess it's broke if ICUII won't work.

I may try the updated firmware.

Yep! According to Linksys the Firmware update will fix that problem. They are currently working on a Firmware for the BEFW11S4....Good Luck!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back