how to check webpage history (looking for inapropriate site access at work)

i need to check a employees laptop for inapropriate material. But io dont have his logon password. Can i do this from the administrative account. I know i can do wildcard searches and such but what i really need is web history. and times of web page access any ideas?

hmm
is this what they got you doing for your co-op job?
;)
snitchin eh

hehe
jokes!

they pay well... And these are union guys jacking around.. so.. any real help?

Easiest thing is to search for the cookies.... most people dont think to delete them
do a search for *cookie* and it should find all of them.. then check the corresponding names and use the date/time stamp to see who had them the day of the stamp.

sraycoz said:
i need to check a employees laptop for inapropriate material. But io dont have his logon password. Can i do this from the administrative account. I know i can do wildcard searches and such but what i really need is web history. and times of web page access any ideas?

That's like against the law.

what about something like a desktop search using msn or google?
if you did a search for pron, wouldnt it find it?

ive never used it, so please disregard this msg if i am absolutely wrong.

thanks

ming said:
Can't you just check the history folder?
I guess it would depend if the my document folder allows access to outside users...

COOKIE_ID24.73.193.82-1366301568.29637042cookie.monster.com/1024
14789708830371297133688156829637042*

Something like this would be listed... in the cookie double-click to open if you dont know the name of the site... or its ambiuous.. then go back to the search and look at the date/time the cookie was created...

If you dont know use the IP as you can see I made the IP visible in the cookie you can type in the IP in your web browser and go directly to the site in question sometimes... I say that because I tried it from this cookie and it did not work, even though i know where I went for this cookie which is why I used it..

Also, you can do an NSLookup on the site... so do a ping or nslookup and it will give you the corresponding IP for the site..

To do that do a run under the prompt type cmd (press enter)

then type:

nslookup osnn.net (or website in question)

Server: gd-main01.gd-centcom.com
Address: Sorry my IP is restricted....
Name: osnn.net
Address: 70.84.96.186

See its that easy...

sigh.. I hate doing this but whoever lap this is is going to be fired thanks guys.

Hehe
I can find anywhere you been even if you delete the website from the PC, we keep a cached copy of cookies going to PCs for this very reason... it wouldnt be good for a government employee walked by and I was looking at Bigtitties.com
LOL
:D

that reminds me... I should delete all my cookies and do the same on the server... being I have Domain Admin RIGHTS

BWHAHAHAHAA

I wouldnt want them knowing I looked at monster.com while I was at work...

Tends to be in

C:\Documents & Settings\<username>\Local Settings\History

You could also check the cookies. (either on the machine or server, if the profile is roaming)

The local settings folder does not get uploaded to the server with a romain profile by default.

appreciate everyone response mlakrid already repped you but thanks again. :)

to clarify the search was warranted by something else we don’t randomly check computers. But legally i guess companies can. Anything on a business computer is usually considered business property. just food for thought.

What a lot of people overlook is the index.dat files as they will contain URL's as well as other info and you can not delete the index.dat files while in Windows.

American Zombie said:
What a lot of people overlook is the index.dat files as they will contain URL's as well as other info and you can not delete the index.dat files while in Windows.

Well KINDA... you cant erase index.dat files using the OS... there are plenty of commercial utilities to do so...

Example: Tracks Eraser and Tracks Eraser PRO which can be found at:

http://www.acesoft.net/delete_index.dat_files.htm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back