How much system resource do these theme prgs take up?

Blade195

OSNN Addict
I've been scanning through the monthly desktops, and they look quite awesome! I play some current games that are out today, and I tweak my computer to a certain extent, due to a middle class system. So I'm wondering how much resource these desktop theme programs occupy? Alot of memory perhaps?

And are those clocks, weather info, and calender all active? You're not changing them by yourself everyday are you? :confused: thx for bearing with my noobness... :p

As far as I know, theming programs that allow the usage of non-Microsoft themes don't have any performance hits at all. In fact, the last article I read, most themes implemented using WindowBlinds or ThemeXP actually perform better than the original Windows XP theme. As for the other programs such as docks, samurize, etc ... they'll naturally use up resources like any other program would. And no... you don't have to change their data every day. They fetch their data somewhere in the internet automatically.

Would it be possible for you to link that article for me? If it really does perform better, I'd really love a change to the original XP GUI. But i'm quite surprised about this, because windowblinds is, afterall, another program that is running, isn't it? :confused:

Finally, how big is the performance hit the program such as samurize give? If it is only a little bit slower, I'd think about going that route as well. It really looks neat and stylish AND convenient! :D

Thx for the reply

you could also try out patched UXTheme.dll files. if you are worried about changing a .dll or if you want to start off a little slower (nothing wrong with that, i did it too :) )then go ahead and get something like ThemeXP as vern mentioned. if you do use a program that changes your .dll it won't run any sort of program, thus consuming no additional cycles.

I use Style XP (has an option for no consuming resourses).
I use Yzdock and Coolmon too, and for games i use a vbs (now i use an Auto-it routine actually) that does this: Closes coolmon and yzdock, runs the game and when the game ends it starts again both apps automatically. So no resourse is used when the game is on.
So instead of having a direct access for the "game.exe" i link it to the routine, and works O.K. for me ;)

You will want to steer clear of LiteStep then - that is the ultimate in tailorability, you can make your desktop anyway you want it, but I played with it a bit and it can be pretty resource hungry.

If I had the link of it on hand, I'd post it ... unfortunately I don't anymore. The only real way for you to tell if it does affect performance is to try it out for yourself. That or benchmarks. The article was testing WindowBlinds over the regular XP themes. I'm guessing if you use Style XP, there is some performance hit since it uses some weird Style XP service which I'm not sure is needed or not.

Mainframeguy said:
You will want to steer clear of LiteStep then - that is the ultimate in tailorability, you can make your desktop anyway you want it, but I played with it a bit and it can be pretty resource hungry.
The amount of resources used, is based on the type and amount of modules you have loaded. From the experience I have, using Litestep for 6 years now, it uses no more than explorer with added enhancement programs running; (WindowBlinds, StyleXP, Yz Dock, etc). You can also set Litestep to unload resource hungry modules to unload when you play a game. Similiar to what Silvio does with AutoIt, but you don't need to use it with LiteStep. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back