How much RAM is enough? How much do you have?

i run 512mb PC2700 DDR here on XP Pro and it runs sweet as. I have never noticed a slow down in performance due to too lack of memory :)

Posted by Jz1397-4
i have 1024, anything over that is just not sane for a normal gamer/desktop user.

I use 1280x1024 for everyday use and it suits me fine, I can't go back to using anything lower for any large amount of time as it does my eyes in.

Alright, thanks everyone. I'm going for 512 mb of DDR, just one question though, nothing to do with memory though. I right now have a 350W power supply, and I know for a fact that its not going to be enough, here are my specs.

1 hard drive, going to put another one in
2 cd rom drives, (one cd-rw writer, another just plain) might put in a dvd drive
geforce 2mx, might upgrade to better
soon 512 mb ddr
1 floppy (well, who hasn't?)
and i think that sums it up...

what should i upgrade my powersupply to?

I have a 350W PSU in my comp, and attached to it at the moment is 2 hard drives, a dvd drive, a cd writer, geforce4 gfx card and 3 fans and its all ok =)

i dont know bu i guess u can get rid of few svchost.exe's....chech here:

www.blkviper.com

also few weeks back my pc was an athlon 800mhz w/256 pc133 of ram and everything run smooth......at boot my pagefile was (if i can remember right) 96Mb so there is something weird on your startup..........also i have a 300w psu with 2 hard drives, 1cdrw,1cdrom, ati rage fury pro 32mb, no floppy i hate them LOL
and everything run very good.........i had and still have my pagefile in the second drive......what i'm sayingis that 256 or 512 is in my opinion good enough.....my 2 cents

i already upgrade my system to 1.4athlon and 640 of ram but that is because i sold my old mobo,cpu,case,psu and ram

Posted by Jz1397-4
i have 1024, anything over that is just not sane for a normal gamer/desktop user.

I think that what Jz meant by 1024 is 1024 MB of ram... the post right before was about whether 512 would be good enough. I don't think he was talking about the resolution not being sane... that's just what I think he meant though... maybe he didn't

chrisuk i should have been a bit more clear. i meant 1024mb of ram, and i also have the same desktop resolutions.

Well Thank you guys. The XP-erience forums and people are awesome, thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back