How much RAM is enough? How much do you have?

if you can't worm out the program that's doing it, then i would say yes. here's my task manager after a clean boot, to give you an idea:

taskmanager.txt

This is my task manger after just loading windows. Nothing unusal loaded. Can you go through and tell me what I can take off? Thanks.

nvsvc32.exe can be unloaded.
Start>Run>services.msc

Set "nVidia Driver Helper Service" to Manual, and Stop it. You might even notice faster shutdowns.

wow, that's quite a list.

well, find out what "apache.exe" is. you got 2 of em...

actually, instead of listing the ones i'm suspicious of, i'll just say i bet a lot of those are useless. even your explorer.exe is a bit bloated at almost 23mb.

- open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

- there will be lots of crap there. hopefully you'll be able to tell what some of them are and know if they're something you need. others that you know you don't need, go ahead and delete. this will keep them from being loaded at startup.

okay. but im still not sure whats safe or not, anyone can go through and list which are trash...? or anyone know a website?

alright, im trying out the website.
yes i run a webserver for personal use only on my computer, but I can't figure out why two apache's loaded. Oh well. I went through the services, and cleaned some out. Now I am down to about 200mb of pagefile.

I went to the website, WOW! What a help! In my registry /run group I cleaned everything except for two out. Right now my computer has to check the disk for errors (its got errors on it) but i'll let all of you know the pagefile when its done. Great Website! 2 Thumbs up!

Well I am still sitting at 191 mb of used pagefile, 43444 (k) free phyiscal memory. What should I do now?

what about startup pograms under start>programs>startup

do you have a large background image loaded? how many icons/folders do you have on the desktop?

elroy

a 1280x960 background picture (even a small picture 'stretched') on the desktop uses about 6.5mb. less, if you're set at a lower resolution.

on the desktop i have about 10 icons, 3 folders
on the startup menu i got adobe gamma loader
thats it.
and i also have my resolution at 1024x768.

I'm guessing my best bet is to get that new 512mb ddr ram and a nice new format?

i have 1024, anything over that is just not sane for a normal gamer/desktop user.

Well I am going to DDR ram because (a) for some reason with sdram my computer will not go full speed (b) its better, I can get a good deal on it
Just wondering though, I play some games not too many (ex. gta3, max payne) but I do use 3dsmax, bryce, vue, photoshop a lot. And usally I have the usal chat programs open with some IE windows. Should I go for the full 1GB of ddr or just the 512mb of DDr?

alright, im trying out the website.
yes i run a webserver for personal use only on my computer, but I can't figure out why two apache's loaded
I get 2 Apache processes here to, I think its normal :)

i have 1024, anything over that is just not sane for a normal gamer/desktop user
1600x1200 here, and im just a "desktop user" :D

So does anyone have any idea what I should do? Go for the 512mb DDR or the 1gb of DDR?

i think i can sum up most people's thoughts by saying 512mb:D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back