how much cooling do I need... ?

shiatsu

OSNN Addict
The fan in my PSU recently stopped working and last weekend I replaced it with a "whisper quiet" unit from a local electronics store. Quiet it ain't and it sounds like a vacuum cleaner! Whilst the fan achieves a very good throughput of air I am already getting pissed off at the noise level. I also have another similar fan adajcent to the CPU heatsink so the combined noise is getting to be a problem.

I would like your opinions on what I can reasonably get away with as regards using quieter fans in my PC. I know that the "evercool" range of fans are quiet but having used one before they do not shift a lot of air - maybe only half of what my present fans move.

The heat-producing parts of my PC are....
AMD Athlon CPU 900 MHZ
2 x 7200rpm IDE hard drives
Voodoo 3 3000 AGP card
40X CD Burner

I was thinking of installing an evercool fan in the PSU and also one in the back of the case adjacent to the CPU fan. I could also install a tray fan if necessary in one of the expansions slots at the back of the machine. This combination probably would be a lot quieter but is it safe?

Currently my CPU runs at around 35 degrees C but I have no information on the temperature of the PSU.

Thanks,
Alan

Evercool fans are quieter cos the speed has been dropped, its always a compromise,, speed vs noise for fans.

I have 4 evercool 80mm fans in my case, 2 sucking in from front, 2 sucking out from back. case stays at 29c and thats in a warm room.

Keep the in/out equal, so if you have 1 fan in front sucking in, have 1 fan blowing out from the back of the case. That excludes the PSU fan which just keeps itself cool.

Thanks for the info.

How did you get 2 x 80mm fans in both the front and back of your case?

Excluding the PSU I have only one place an 80mm fan can be sited at the front and back of my case. At the bottom/front of the case there is one purpose-made mounting for this type of fan and similarly there is another mounting point at the back of the case adjacent to the CPU.

Regards, Alan

u want no noise? go water cooled. not only does it look cool, there is no noise whatsoever and it isnt thta expensive to buy or hard to set up

Posted by shiatsu
Thanks for the info.

How did you get 2 x 80mm fans in both the front and back of your case?

Excluding the PSU I have only one place an 80mm fan can be sited at the front and back of my case. At the bottom/front of the case there is one purpose-made mounting for this type of fan and similarly there is another mounting point at the back of the case adjacent to the CPU.

Regards, Alan

My case has fittings for 4 case fans two front, two back, it came like that. front bottom, front mid level, infront of HDD drives (so it keeps them cool too)

Fit two fans in your case, I recommend Papst or Evercool , they are quietest. See what temperatures you get after that, then if you still need more, you'll have to cut holes yourself. Unless you get a new case.

Scorpious.

The BIOS in my PC is able to monitor the temperature of the CPU and motherboard so I am not worried about using evercool fans in the main body of the case. But of course there is no facility in the BIOS to report on the temperature of the PSU.

So if I put an evercool fan in the PSU how can I tell if it is running too hot?

Alan

Do a search for a program called 'HMon' (hardware sensors monitor) OR 'Coolmon' both of which monitor all your fan speeds/temperatures and voltages.

TOK

You should check the direction of your fans. Sometimes I put some fans in computers and If they are too close and facing away/towards each other It creates a very undisired effect (loud noise) due to fightning for air.

Posted by gothic
Do a search for a program called 'HMon' (hardware sensors monitor) OR 'Coolmon' both of which monitor all your fan speeds/temperatures and voltages.

TOK

Thanks again for the info.

Do you know what is a reasonable temperature, or temperature range, for a 300W PSU to operate at?

Alan

I like to keep mine below 42°C, though this is purely a personal goal. I have added 2 case fans sucking in at the front of my case, and an extra 2 sucking out at the back (3, including the PSU fan) and my CPU has an http://www.globalwin.com.tw TAK 58 dual silent fan with Arctic Silver compound, and this keeps my system to about 37°C when idle and about 42°C ish after a long session of MOH online!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back