how is this done in photoshop?

Discussion in 'Graphic Design' started by Kush, May 23, 2006.

1. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ok guys im sure theres a tutorial somewhere out there on how to do this, i dont know what to search for though. how are these professional looking color fade etc effects made in photoshop? sorry if its hard to undresstand what i mean,:nervous:

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      28.8 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      48.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      38.3 KB
      Views:
  2. jimi_81

jimi_81 Moderator Political User

layers, gradients

3. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i dont mean so much the text and the other objects, i know those are layers, what i mean is the color fading effect which i know is gradients but, how do i get it to look so professional like those one, i wanna play around with it, but dont know where to start. the normal gradient tool in photo shop is all i know which im sure isnt the way probably

4. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

its really just layers and gradients, u can add more and more gradients on top of each other, different layers, plus adding clear layers over that, different mixed gradients etc..

Many different things u could do

5. Kush

Kush High On Life!

any tutorials? im not so good in this department

6. Bman

do u know how to add a gradient?

add more of them on top of each other, change the color.....really just play around with it longer then 2 seconds

7. Kush

Kush High On Life!

ok i got that part, but if i just create a new layer and another gradient it covers the old one, do i just take the eraser and use that?

8. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

Kush, try looking through here for a tutorial: click. There are over 10,000 but you should be able to find what you want through the categories. :)

9. Bman

oh sorry, thought u would of guessed, u make one layer transparent...u can find that top right corner of layers area

10. Kush

Kush High On Life!

11. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

You set the transparency (possibly not the right word, it's been a while since I did this in PS) and the gradient. You can then layer on top of layer building the richness of the gradient. This is one of the really important features for photo enhancment. You can also play with the contrast for the layer the gradient is in which will strengthen colors.

Creation of a masterpeice is not done with paint by numbers. The skill you seek requires trial and error, and an artistic eye to judge the outcome.

12. Bman

im sure there are many ways to do it, but if that was me, i'd make with a pen tool or something, the shape i want, white, and then add transparentness to it.

13. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I usually find the 2 colors that I want to use, then I go in and select the gradient tool and choose how I want the gradient to go. Weather it be a fade out from one color to the other, or a fade from one color, to another, then back to it's original. Those are my most commonly used ones. From there, I would take either the eliptical tool, or the box or shape creating tool and make a white shape above the gradient on a new layer. Rasterize that layer, then maybe take the eraser tool, bump up it's size to be about a 1/4 or more of the size of the shape, make sure it's what I call the "fuzzy" kind of eraser, where it fades out on the sides. Then erase however much I want of the rasterized shape that's above the gradient, and change that layers opacity to a nice ghostly like shape. Viola! I'm sure there's about 100 different ways of doing it, but that's how I usually do it.

14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

thanks guys, ive looked at many cool tutorials, and played around with it, this is the only image i saved though, im still ganna play around more later!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  15. Bman

that's pretty well done, nice work

16. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

Very nice job. I would crop what is needed and cut out the rest, that way if it's for web, it will have a little faster load time, you'll cut down on the size of the .gif file for it.

Otherwise, very nice work.

17. Kush

Kush High On Life!

yeah i know for web ill make it smaller i was just fooling around though, thanks

18. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

Nice work so far Mr. Kush