How important is DVI?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Vanquished, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Hey everyone,
    I just got a new monitor AOC e2243Fw 21.5 Widescreen LED Monitor - 1080p, 1920x1080, 16:9, 50,000,000:1 Dynamic, 5ms, VGA, DVI at TigerDirect.com

And it doesn't come with a DVI cable, I Have a spare adapter (DVI to VGA that came with the card so I will still be able to do dual monitors) but I was wondering if I should spend the money on a DVI cable to make the image better. Does it make a noticeable difference (I was wondering specifically on a monitor this size since on my 17inch I have now, thats not super high-resolution Im sure I couldn't tell the difference.)

Also, does the cable matter if I do get a DVI cable, I found a 6 foot cable on sale on Amazon thats a CablesToGo for 10 bucks from 22, and it got a lot of good reviews, Without springing for a Monster which I think is a waste are there other brands that need to be had?

Thanks!

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

DVI is better in the regard that it is digital and VGA is analog. DVI is a step down from HDMI, and VGA is a step down from DVI.

3. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Ok then, will purchase a DVI cable right about now lol. Thanks for the help.

4. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Go DVI. Guy at work just got a computer upgrade annd they did not have 2 DVI cables. The montor they stuck him with a VGA cable on is illegible. He's not happy.

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

DVI = HDMI

HDMI just added audio transit as well

7. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Yeah, what lord said.

8. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I use HDMI with my monitor, because I enjoy the cable design better, and the whole HD is HDMI makes me feel better lol Even though I know DVI is the same.

I just wish video cards would incorporate sound into it, or something. Would be sweet.

9. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

ATI 5000 series or nvidia gt400/500 do :)

10. Bman

I have a 5000 series card, and no it doesn't....Unless I am missing something.

11. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

If it has an HDMI connection then it supports high bit rate audio. At least the 5870 does.

ATI Radeon

12. Bman

Huh, so does the 5850, but I am pretty sure when I had my tv hooked up to my video card there was no sound coming from the tv, hmm must try again.

13. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

You need to run it through a Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio receiver first. Your TV on its own won't recognise the audio signal.

14. Bman

Ah yes, good point lol