how does one loose opengl???

oDin

xp m0nk3y
ok, this is my story last nite i was playing counter-strike and a little porsche unleashed and all was good. now, today i take my pc to school so we can play some games. hook it up and boot. all of a sudden everything is in 4bit color. so i am like ok, weird and i try and change it. can't. everything is greyed out. everything looks normal in device manager. i go to daytek.ca to see if there are any more recent drivers than the ones that come with XP. i install them...i can now get outa 4bit color mode. so, i attempt to demonstrate porsche unleashed to everyone. it won't run. in fact in crashes. =[. so i try counter-strike. i start a lan game and i get a message that this opengl mode is not supported. switch it to D3D. and it works. i go back to device manager and see a nice little ! next to my video card. says something about try updateing drivers. i go to nvidia.com and get the latest detonators(29.42), i have been using 21.83 since they came out and they have been working fine. i figure driver problem caused my shitty ass school moniter. install detonators and reboot. i have color woohoo. can set it to 1280x1024@85hz. all is good. NOT. counter-strike still won't run in opengl. go back to device manager and video card is disabled!! i didn't do that. nobody else has touched my baby(aka my pc) i enable it. now i can play porsche unleashed and counter-strike but only in D3D. i go home and play with it some more. i end up uninstalling the drivers via the add/remove applet. and uninstalling the card. reboot. it all comes back 'cept its using the XP geforce drivers. i reinstall 29.42. reboot. same thing with the disabled in control panel. do the uninstall thing again. reboot. try installing 21.83. same thing happens. now i am mad. i reboot to safe mode and uninstall everything but before i reboot i do a search for nvidia files(nv*.*) with the intention of removiing them manually. i delete everything i find except what i find in system32/reinstallbackups and system32/dllcache. those i rename. now drivers can't install cuz a file is missing. oops. i undo my renaming stuff and reinstall 21.83. get the same result as before. once i enable the video card i can play but only in d3d. thats as far as i can get. my pc runs fine no hangs or BSOD.

does anyone have any suggestions as to what i can do next, other than reinstalling???. i am lost and very frustrated.

thanks
oDin.

note BSOD= blue screen of death.

easiest thing to do is a sys restore to just b4 the problem.. I had that prob once or twice before and thats all i did and all was back to normal

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back