how do you set up an ftp server?

o.k. Terrahertz,

did exactly as you suggested.

i didn't see SPI anywhere on my filters tab in router interface. did you by chance mean IPSec Pass Through?

i've opened ports 21 and 50000 - 50100.

i also entered the port range into PASV in Serv-U FTP 4.0, but it keeps changing to 50000 - 50049 on its own.

i have set dmz host back to default.

as far as a WAN IP, i don't have one visible (just dashes). my router obtains that automatically.

btw, i have a linksys model BEFSR41 router.

this set-up is still not functioning.

i have set up accounts as well and no one can connect.

any further suggestions before i disengage the router from the network and chuck the bastige out the window? :D

any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hmmm make sure you have the latest firmware update and if you have a dynamic WAN ip then that could be the problem. Hmm there should be an option to use TZO. Serv-U supports the TZO Dynamic DNS Service but you will have to pay.
Its up to you but I use Guild FTP and its great no headaches (for me anyway)
http://www.nitrolic.com/

i had the same problem when i first bought my netgear router....
frustrated, i RESET the router.... not just pulling the plug but resetting the router to its factory setting... i try again and this time it works.....

so maybe i'll try and reset the router. hey logoout, did you have to change any settings on your router after the reset, or was the only thing you did was forward ports to your machine's ip to get it to function?

terrahertz, you may be correct. i really don't want to pay for a service that'll keep my WAN ip static.

i spoke with a guy at work, and he's running an ftp using winxp's IIS service and a netgear router. he said the only thing he had to do was forward ports to his machine's ip and walah - it worked!

do you by chance know how to set up an ftp site using IIS (Internet information services) in winxp pro?

yikes! i've been trying to tackle this ftp beast for a couple of weeks and it's slowly driving me insane!

help! :)

Here's Another one for you.
Are You using XP's Built in firewall or another one?

i'm running winxp pro and have xp's firewall disabled.

however, my linksys router has a built-in firewall...

Yes I have setup IIS and I really dont trust the damn thing. To many security issues so I stopped using it but, if you really want to you'll have to go into control panel add/remove programs>add/remove windows components and then IIS(you will need your XP disc). Then go to administrative tools and you'll see it. Good luck

i finally got it running!

thanks to terrahertz and everyone else for all your help. you guys had answers for a lot of my problems.

i signed up with tzo.com and now they keep track of my wan ip, allowing users to access my site!

*best homer voice*

woohoo!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back