How do you enable SLI?

BouncingSoul

Stranger Than Fiction
Political Access
Apparently this is simple for everyone but me. First off after digging for ages to find the right drives for XP x64 I was able to get one that enabled all the stuff on the new Asus A8N SLI board. Funny how the cd that come with the board doesn't work with 64 bit systems. Anyway I got that and tried to follow nvidia's instructions but none of what they say happens will happen for me. So I got the two cards installed (6600GT's) got the connector hooked up and nvidia says uninstall any old display driver so I do. The next step is get the latest drivers, now there were the ones posted here (76.44) and there are the official drivers (71.84) and I also have 67.66 for some reason. I remove everything and reboot. I install 76.44 and reboot. And nothing. I don't get the little pop up bubbles saying sli is enabled nor do I get the little nvidia control center thing. So I uninstall them and go with 71.84 and now I get the nvidia control center dealie but no option to enable SLI. So my question is, Which one do I use and ... HOW THE HELL DO YOU ENABLE THIS STUPID THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By XP x64 do you mean you are running Windows 64 Bit Beta version? If so I doubt if working drivers for SLI have been released yet. Remember 64 Bit Windows is still only Beta and SLI hardware is brand new. I wouldn't expect it to work. Maybe next fall...

The SLI power warning LED illuminates when two PCI-Express video cards are seated in the board without a MOLEX power connector connected to the EZ Plug power connector. ASUS chose this design in order to ensure that both PCI-Express cards would receive optimal power under all conditions.

The A8N-SLI has a total of 2 PCI Express x16 slots, 3 PCI slots, and 2 PCI Express x1 slots. Just below the 2 PIC-Express x1 slots is the SLI EZ connector port, in to which plugs a connector card that tells the board to enable one or both PCI-Express x16 slots. image

BIOS
The Advanced menu contains various submenus controlling configuration parameters for all board level integrated systems, including CPU and memory. The only configurable setting on the main Advanced screen is the SLI mode option, which controls the functioning of the two PCI-Express x16 slots on the board. It is highly recommended that this setting be left at auto, or else set to mimic the setting enforced through the card inserted in to the SLI EZ connector port in between the 2 PCI-Express x16 slots. Note that with this board, you are unable to assign IRQ values to specific ports, rather the IRQ values can only be set as Reserved or to the general PCI pool. The IRQ values are listed under the IRQ Resources submenu within the PCIPnP submenu. BIOS

This is all quoted from HardOCP

[edit]
I just realized that you posted that your's is the 64 bit Windows XP. since it's Beta and there are no drivers for it yet besides the defaults. I think it would be wish to install 32 bit XP and then all would be just fine. Well... maybe. :D

Okay, reformatted from the "Final" version of x64 and went back to 32 bit windows. I've tried both the leaked drivers and official drivers and can't get SLI up and running. I have attached a screenshot and you can clearly see two 6600GT cards. Both cards are from MSI and are identical. However you'll also see that it's telling me to remove the card that is not SLI compatible in order to enable SLI... any ideas?

Attachments

• sli.JPG
    sli.JPG
    180.5 KB · Views: 112
Did you try switching them in the slots (reverse their position)? Double check your MoBo's manual on setting up the SLI. Double check all connections. Otherwise I'm at a loss. Hope someone else has some better ideas.

I should have followed my own advice before posting. When in doubt ... RTFM!!! The Asus manual clearly shows what to do. There is a little chip seated between the cards on the MB. The way it is seated by default if for single card hookup. You pop the chip out, reverse it and slip it back in and boom SLI ready. Reboot and you're good to go. SLI rocks by the way, I've got everything set to super hi res and it still silky smooth!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back