How do i uninstall the builtin xp messenger

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by alphatoomega, Dec 31, 2002.

1. alphatoomega

alphatoomega Guest

the subject says it

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

This will disable it.
    C:\Program Files\Messenger. Rename the folder to MessengerOff.

3. J0sh

J0sh Guest

run this from the run prompt: RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

4. wahoo24jc

wahoo24jc Guest

Hipster's method is probably the best. That is what I do. That way if you want to use it for some reason, you can just rename the folder to Messenger.

5. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

thats what i did too !

6. allan

allan Guest

If you want to disable messenger, then HD's suggestion to rename the folder to anything other than its current name will work fine. If you want to remove messenger completely, then you must follow JOsh's suggestion. Other than a crowbar, that's the only way to remove it from your system.

Please note - you can always reinstall Messenger at a later date if you choose.

7. Kevin Ar18

Kevin Ar18 OSNN Senior Addict

It's possible that by removing or disabling Windows Messenger, Outlook Express will launch several seconds slower.
    I messed around with such configurations a while back to get messenger to stop launching -- things like uninstalling it from "add/remove programs" and disabling it in Outlook Express. However, one of the methods slowed down Outlook Express; unfortunately I don't know for sure which one it was.

The method I finally settled on was renaming the folder to "Messenger2" Now I have no extra slow down when launching Outlook Express.