how do I overclock a 850mhz P III?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Razorwing, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Razorwing

Razorwing Guest

how do I do it? I can get into my bios but I can't select the speed of it.. and my comp is an HP ( HP 8772C to be exact ) No manual was given to me 'bout my mothercard.. so can someone help me? I wanna get it to atleast 900mhz or 1 gig

[edit] its an AMD Athlon btw

2. Krux

Krux Nissan Powered

well why in the heck is the thread called "how do I overclock a 850mhz P III"???? and its Motherboard* :p

3. Razorwing

Razorwing Guest

huh ? all I wanna do is to overclock... help?

4. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

there might be jumpers on the motherboard to adjust the front side bus, but with that brand of PC, overclocking was not an included feature.

5. Ace123

Ace123 Guest

how do I overclock a 850mhz P III?
    [edit] its an AMD Athlon btw
    Umm dude pentium 3s are made by intel....

6. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

Most oem's like your HP are stuck that way the bios is very limited and gives no options as you saw yourself , and your motherboard will be like most prepackaged name brands oem and will have nothing great....but you might be lucky if that board was used for a higher rated cpu...for that go look around at HP see what you can find ie: the .pdf manual for a start any maybe a bios update

7. Razorwing

Razorwing Guest

hmmm... dunno.. hard... I bought the comp in 99/00'

8. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

9. Razorwing

Razorwing Guest

so what do I do after I read it?

10. jumpy

jumpy Guest

Come to the realisation that you've got a motherboard that won't overclock, and then spend $100 on getting a half decent one. :D

Do a search of "softFSB" or cpuFSB on this forum to see your other option.

11. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

but first learn to differentiate an amd from an intel

12. Razorwing

Razorwing Guest

Yes i do.. but thnx for helping...

13. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

so u have an amd cpu?...ur thread title is VERY misleading if u ask me

14. DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

this is just in my case... it has nothing to do with razorwing..

makes me very angry that a lot of ppl (in my case) only heard of 'intel pentiums', and they think they're the best cause they've got the 'PENTIUM 4'.... and don't know any else about their comp

then i tell them the AMD athlon xps at the same clock speed are faster than the p4s in some cases and they'll say 'wtf is AMD??'

15. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Deepblade whatever you do don't mention SIS ,Nvidia or ATI then. You may stroke out.

16. Razorwing

Razorwing Guest

ok ok... I have an AMD Athlon.. I accidently called it a PIII.. I am sorry for that.

17. Black_Pride

Black_Pride OSNN Addict

I wish people would at least do a little research on a particular problem instead of posting a question expecting that their problem be solved for them...

Dude, at least TRY to get educated a little and read up on what your trying to do then try it yourself....dont just ask for directions.
    :eek:

18. Oorgle

Oorgle Guest

you can try going to your local computer hardware store :cool:

19. Razorwing

Razorwing Guest

since people aren't getting me anywhere I'm just going to leave the post behind.. [period]

20. DeepBlade

DeepBlade Guest

olright, well we've basically already said, if u buy a comp from hp, they've probably set it so u can't OC it........ and so u should buy a "half decent mb" with any money u have if u really want to OC ur athlon

my compaq, it says 850 mhz athlon on the side panel sticker but it came with a 900 hehe hahah. oh well... it's pretty much considered 'slow' now.... according to today's standards