How do I make an automatic logon for windows 2000 machine

OK i need to know how to make a windows 2000 machine automatically logon to a username and domain with a saved password on restart/power up.

I have application that needs to run this way to avoid me having to walk around starting them up and waiting 4 mins a machine. I looked in Local security Settings but i coudnt find the option i needed. I know there is a way to do it.. any ideas? I have attached a screen shot of the avaliable options for Local security Settings and i did go through each folder but im tired and i could of missed it.. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• security2.jpg
    security2.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 98
No problem, looks like it should do the trick for you :)

Yes.. TweakUI puts a GUI interface around it (but it makes the same changes that KCNY already linked to.

TweakUI does do a lot more and I would recommend it to anyone..

For those that are too lazy to search for TweakUI.. I have provided a link

oops.. good catch KCNY.. thanks!

Very insecure.

Best part is, the password is in the registry unencrypted !! woot !

Run the app as a service under NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

TweakUI basically sets up an autologon entry in the Windows Registry.

I do agree that it's insecure, but was just trying to answer his question :)

Another thing Venom - if it's more than one machine you can make the change one machine, verify it works how you want it, and then export the .REG key to just double-click on subsequent machines you want configured that way. It will save the hassle of having to edit the registry on multiple machines.

Yes, I mentioned already that TweakUI does the same thing as the MS KB article that KCNY linked to which is the manual way of adding the reg key..

I know I have some apps at my work that, because of the silly (read: stupid beyond belief) programmers, require a user to be logged in. They can't run as a service because they wrote a graphical console that is supposed to be running and the app tries to write to console. Why they can't think a little bit and either write to a regular log file and/or to the event log, I don't know (see my earlier comment about "stupid beyond belief"). I've already went round and round with them about this, and they say their next release, they'll "consider" this "feature"

ARGH! Stupid programmers should be shot!

Last edited:
You guys... there is an easier way.

Start
Settings
Control Panel
Users

Highlight the user you want to be automatically logged in.

Check the box up top. Click apply. It'll ask for the password and comfirmation password. Press OK. Press OK.

All set.

You guys... there is an easier way.

Start
Settings
Control Panel
Users

Highlight the user you want to be automatically logged in.

Check the box up top. Click apply. It'll ask for the password and comfirmation password. Press OK. Press OK.

All set.

I don't believe that works on Windows 2000.. dont' have a win2k machine in front of me to check..

I also don't think that works on Domains, but I could be wrong.

It won't work for computers that are apart of a domain (not even XP) but I didn't see that in the initial post (I do now though).

It'll work for a computer that is apart of a workgroup only.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back