How do i make a Bootable USB keydisk to intall windows?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by canadian_divx, Nov 7, 2008.

1. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

been trying to do it and my ways are not working. i have an old computer used as a file server and i just want to reload windows XP via a keydisk. it updated to SP3 and well didnt reboot. so now i need to do a repair install

there is no CDrom in this computer and its a lot of work to just temp hook one up. was thinking this would be the simple way.

can someone explain how i can install windows from a keydisk?

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

if you can get your hands on an external cd rom; that would work.

The way I would do it is copy all the files from the cd to the usb stick from a pc that has a cd rom. Then manually boot from the usb stick from said computer which needs reinstalled.

3. lancer

lancer There is no answer! Political User Folding Team

well i think the biggest issue here is, considering the machine your trying to repair is pretty old, it probably does not boot from a usb drive, if it does make sure you have that option "boot from usb drive" selected in the bios.

4. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Yeah, lancer, I was thinking that same thing. The only option may be to get a really cheap cd rom drive and put it in to install the os. Or take one from another pc to temporarily use for this purpose.

5. lancer

seriously you can get a CD rom drive for like $20. whats the hold up?

i'll buy canadian one and ship it to him if its an issue.

6. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

anyone know how to do this for MacOS? I have reasons that would make that an interesting proposition - but I am veering way OT from the thread I realise!

7. lancer

yes
    'go into disk utility and copy and image to the usb drive, when you boot up the mac it should pick up the usb drive first and viola....

8. Mainframeguy

now - if only I could get access to disc utility I think all my troubles would be over (Guest seems not to have it!)

9. lancer

guest has it i think, go to spotlight.... top right hand corner where the little magnifying glass is and type "disk" then press enter... or go to applications/utilities/disk utility....

10. Mainframeguy

I had to use sherlock - no spotlight on 9.2 I guess - anyway found disk utility from guest - suspect double click should open - but does nothing - think guest cannot access?

11. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

hey there. LOL its a dual core amd LOL not too old just too full of hard drives. and the case that its in the drives cover the ide ports and sata ports. its just a serious pain to get back in there.

but i found a way to do it. i just put bart on the usb key. booted up into that environment and set windows to repair install that drive.

12. lancer

sounds great canadian, glad you got it fixed.