How Do I Know My Current Master/Slave Setup

thebear

d(-.-)b
newbie :)

anyways, I want to install a new hard drive...I currently have one hard drive connected directly to the CPU. Then I have a CD-Rom and CD-R sharing a cable, it looks like the CD-R has the connector at the end of the cable.

What I want is my second HD to be primary slave to be used for RedHat 9...but to be honest I cant tell what I have now and how to switch it

The original harddrive is most likely a Primary Master. The CD Rom drives are on the Secondary channel and assuming that your PC was built properly your CD-R is the primary. Master drives are supposed to be on the end of the cable, Slave drives are usually in the middle. Of course you have to set the jumpers on the drives for the correct things as well. Setting Cable Select (CS) allows the drives to auto detect slave or master. Hope this helps you.

Good luck!

so since there is a connector in the middle of the cable on my HD, would I plug it into that one (my new HD that is)

Yes.. that would be the Primary Slave. Make sure to set your jumpers correctly before doing it though.

A jumper is a small plastic casing around a metal inner used to short two pins. The way you insert the jumpers decide the Master/Slave/CS setting. Instructions are normally printed on the drive.

Note: The position on the cable only matters if you use Cable Select ("the cable selects"). So if you use Master/Slave just put it where it fits.

A jumper is a little plastic thing (metal on inside) that you place over 2 leads that shorts them. If you look in the documentation for your new harddrive it will probably explain it. They are usually located between the power and IDE input on the harddrive. They are very small.

ah, I see what ur talking bout...thanks a LOAD Un4gIvEn1 and Zedric... this place gets more usefull everyday, lol

The position on the cable only matters if you use Cable Select ("the cable selects"). So if you use Master/Slave just put it where it fits.

I am gonna have to argue this one. In most cases this WILL work, but it is not correct. You CAN set a drive as a master and put it in the middle of the cable but it's not standard and may cause problems.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
I am gonna have to argue this one. In most cases this WILL work, but it is not correct. You CAN set a drive as a master and put it in the middle of the cable but it's not standard and may cause problems.
Maybe so. I've tried most combinations (mobo in middle and so on) on most hardware and it always worked. :)
Only problem have been too long cables.

IDE cables are a poor design really. Most people only have 1 HD. The Master input is in the middle of the cable. By having 6 inches of cable just hanging there you create an antenna for signal disturbance.

HAHA... I just contradicted myself. Ignore me. The OLD IDE cables were setup that way. The new ATA compliant ones are Master on the end and Slave in the middle. Blue usually goes into the board, Black into Master and Grey into Slave.

Originally posted by Un4gIvEn1
The new ATA compliant ones are Master on the end and Slave in the middle.
still not a very good thing. the signal has to travel that much farther and the whole length of the cable is still the 'antenna'. it doesn't have to be an open end to accept interference.

essentially; the shorter the ide cable, the better. but it's a pain to find short ones and get the right length. so we just use the 18"-ers and put up with the occasional hiccup that comes with them. :)

That's why they're now selling shielded-rounded ATA cables to reduce the interferance and increase the transfer rate.

Which is a sort of contradiction in itself. Rounded cables pack the wires closer together so the interference between the wires in the cable mock up the signals and reduce max speed instead. Best would be a shielded flat cable but I think that would be clumpsy...

Aw, heck just use a shielded serial-ATA cable. :) That should be good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back