How do I format 200 or 250 hdd

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Cupid_Stunt, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Cupid_Stunt

Cupid_Stunt OSNN Addict

It might have been covered somewhere b4 but in a rush to get it sorted,

Windows doesnt see over a certian size so how can i format a 200 or 250 gig harddrive.

regards.....cupid

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

the tool on the makers website.

3. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

sounds like a bios limit perhaps? do you have newest bios from your mobo maker? you can also you program from your HD makers website like GoNz0 suggested :)

4. CrazyBoyS

CrazyBoyS Me Crazy? NaH Never!

Accually what partition are you running too? If its Fat 32 that also could be why it has to be NTFS.

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

oh true true .. now days I guess I just suppose ppl aren't going to format anything FAT anymore :p

6. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

if u can get a program called partition magic off a friend to borrow then it can do it and it will be faster because it only males the partition table it does not check every sector.

other than that u can go to the HDD'a site and get eaither max blast for maxtor or datalifeguard for WD.

7. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

i believe that it is the size limit on fat 32.... ntfs i have not heard of problems with. i have a 240gig raid array on one computer, and that is just fine in ntfs

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I can't imagine myself having a partition anything bigger than 80Gb coz it'll take light yrs to defrag it. :p

9. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

It all really depends on how fragmented you let it get, on mine, it automatically runs defrag when it gets any more that 5% fragmented.
    it does so at 3am in the morning, and is always done before i wake up, so really, it isnt that bad.

10. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

that is why for real computing u should use linux, no file fragmentation, better file system and yea i am done now, but yea you will hvae to format that drive into eaither 2 100gb partitions of fat 32 or a ntfs 200gb partition

11. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

a light year is a measure of distance...not a measure of time.

no offense, but that really bugged me.