How do i change dpi size on mac?

Discussion in 'Macintosh' started by Dark Atheist, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

I have just got my mac, and im liking the 1920 resolution, its just that the writing is way too small, i have looked in preferences but i cant seem to find where to change the dpi of the fonts

2. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

why not just put a 24" screen on your PC?

3. Dark Atheist

????? - screen is set to 1900x1200 and the fonts are small, i'll just change startx and add -dpi 120 or something and see if that helps

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

you mentioned you were enjoying 1920x1200 resolution. You can do that on a 24" monitor attached to a pc too :) cheaper :)

5. Dark Atheist

i have pc on a 37" tv - but i need to change the dpi on the mac ;) - mac is for business, pc is for htpc :)

6. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

7. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

startx? Eh?

There is no way to change the size of the fonts system wide. This was mainly done so that all Macs have the same look and feel and so that some basic assumptions can be made in the core OS in terms of how big a certain font is and thus what the height of certain aspects of the window is.

You are free to use Universal Access with the zoom feature to zoom in and out of the desktop at will.

You may also check out TinkerTool, it may do what you want it to do: http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

Mooz likes this.
  8. Dark Atheist

yes i realised after i changed startx that it didnt work ;) - thanks for the tip X i will give it a look over later when i have transferd everything across

9. Dark Atheist

Thanks X worked a treat - would rep you but its telling me i have to spread it about - thought i did enough but guess not