how can i share this internet connection?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by apu95, Sep 29, 2002.

1. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

ok, i live here in canada (waits for everyone to stop booing....) and im getting my self the bell internet service (dsl). does anbyone know how i can share this internet connection? if youre canadian you can probably know how, and if you're not, i think that the connection is PPPoE or something like that....hope that helps

thx, Apu

2. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

Well I don't know how much it would cost in Canada but what I think is bout the easiest way to share a DSL connection is with a router. If you go this route I would suggest Linksys for the router

3. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

i know that a router should be applied, i was wondering though how to configure this router. i have my eye on a linksys router which is pretty good. what do i have to do in order to configure this router to share the connection?

thx, Apu

4. [CpK]Bastid

[CpK]Bastid Guest

pulg it in
    connect your pc's to it

fairly simple.......if you run into any problems.....shouldnt be to hard to correct

if I can network my home...then you can too.....I didnt even know what I was doing.....just bought it,plugged it in,connected pc's.......bamm...i got internet on 2 comps.

the only thing I did myself was make my own cat5's

5. ZAnwar

ZAnwar Guest

Get a cheap internal modem and a cheap hub. Connect your PC's network card into the hub, connect the person who you are sharing it with's card into the hub aswell. Plug the internal DSL modem into your computer and your done !!!

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

You forgot the important part about turning on ICS...

7. getting a router is much better in the long term than a hub/ics sytem because it is much easier to maintain and means you dont have to have computers always on etc etc. i am using the linksys router, and it is excellent, and works very easily, with minimal setting up. if you want any help with it, just ask...