How can I overclock a Dell?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by _DM_, Mar 17, 2003.

1. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Is it possible to overclock a dell? is there a way to bypass there BIOS Lock?
    Ok umm what if i get a new motherboard? Would i be able to overclock my 1.6ghz P4?? Where does BIOS hide in the system? The hard drive or motherboard or inside the proccessor?? if i get a new motherboard my computer wont be considered a dell right?

2. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

ok your dell **** is coded into the mobo
    so the only way you can overclock it depends on the mobo. i doubt dell puts overclockable mobos in there pcs
    i'd get a new motherboard. but then the pc is not considered a dell anymore and your recovery cd has a good chance of not working. as the cd verifys it with the DMI (to be eligable to restore) (i know its very anal) :blink:

3. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

BTW didnt you get a 9700 pro cuz youd be much better getting a motherboard with agp 8x:)

4. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

Ok so its basically creating ur own comp right? ok i'ma ask a newb question what if i get a new mobo, well i have windows xp still? and all the stuff? Well i get softwares CDs with a new mobo or proccessor?

5. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

you wont get xp with the new mobo youll have to use your own that came with the dell. but with a new mobo you MAY not be able to use the recovery CD unless you can update your DMI --->which would make it seem like a dell again

6. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

haha ok. ya i got a radeon 9700pro but my proccessor is a bottleneck.

7. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

newb question lol
    whats dmi?

8. lurker2100

lurker2100 Guest

Just a warning about upgrading your motherboard. I've heard that Dell uses non-standard case layouts so you might want to make certain that a new motherboard will actually fit in your case.

9. XP Abuser

XP Abuser Guest

DMI stands for desktop management interface:blink:

10. _DM_

_DM_ OSNN Senior Addict

ya i'll be getting a new mobo soon and a new case when i get my new partime job lol.
    BTW does the powersupply come with a new case?

11. zoey

zoey Guest

Most come with, Depends what you want. I'd get one without and get your own QUIET psu, or just change them out. But if you are on a very tight budget you'll just use the one that comes with it.