how can I HIDE my recycle bin?

Sazar

Rest In Peace
just a quick question... I want to hide my recycle bin from my desktop... I am wndering how I can do this?

I do not want to remove the recycle bin from the desktop.. I simply want to hide it...

Not sure what you mean when you say you want to hide it but not remove it from the desktop. :p

Anyways, here goes:
1) Start>Run>gpedit.msc
2) User Configuration>Administrative Templates>Desktop
3) "Remove Recycle Bin icon on the desktop" - Double click it and set it to ENABLED.

EDIT: Another possible way to "hide" it, but not remove it, would be to set the icon to a completely transparent one, and rename the Recycle bin to a space " ". I suppose that should work.

Have a read here microsoft.

http://www.support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810869

More info below but read microsoft also.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\
HideDesktopIcons\NewStartPanel

In the right pane, right-click the following registry DWORD value, and then click Modify:
{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK. (The TweakUI utility sets this value to 1 to hide the Recycle Bin icon.)
Quit Registry Editor.

The Recycle Bin icon reappears on the Desktop.

NOW I have not tried this in the registry for a long time but I think it worked
If I remember right.
The microsoft article talks about this also. SO please read it to get a better idea.

(Just set value to 1 to hide the recycle bin icon)
Be sure to backup the registry Key FIRST.

thanks guys I'll give it a look/see :)

issue is when I use objectdock and I remove the recycle bin via tweakUI... it basically kills the functionality of the OD recycle bin but if I leave it on dtop it works as expected... ergo I need it hidden... not removed :D

I'll play around with teh suggestions and post tonite as to what I came up with :)

thanks for your posts..

I had the same problem using Yzdock...just edit the registry file and it should work w/o a problem.

But back up the registry before you do it in case you want to reverse it!

K

bush_dogg's solution is best cause it actually hides it and does not delete some namespace...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back