House introduces bill to begin process of repealing the 22nd Amendment

Maveric169 said:
To be honest I am kinda torn on this issue. On one hand the ability to server more than 2 terms could be a good thing with the right president, but could also be a VERY bad thing with a bad one. However, even if a president could serve more than 2 terms, I still feel that every 2 years that person would have to be re-elected.

Well the one thing I would have to say, is that someone who was recognized as being one of the best Presidents this nation has ever had, namely George Washington himself, refused to run for a third term even though people begged him to. What could happen if someone bad got into office (and the precedent he could set for the then fledgling nation they had just formed after the Revolutionary War) was no doubt a big part of his reasoning.

The other argument, about the president becomming some form of monarch (lots of references at that time to King George, though in all fairness many things attributed to him, were more the decision of Parliment), king, or sovergn was his comment.

I have no doubt his rational in part came down to "I was just general in the Revolutionary War. We fought, and fought hard to depose this sorta thing. I did not lead our collonies forces to become the very thing I fought against..." Albeit, I doubt he ever worded it that way...
---------------------

Not related to you at all, but something I would say:

Everyone does have their views wrt politics and for the healthy functioning of a democracy it is important that people express these feelings. This is why political speech is considered to be the most protected form of speech out there (wrt the 1st Amendment) and the US Supreme Court has extreme prejudice against restrictions to political speech. It is because they recognize, without it, the democracy in this country could not well function.

I would not tell people to just keep quiet and accept whatever is done by someone who comes to a position of government power, simply because they have. The framers who found this country would not have done the same, and quite frankly would have been the most vocal (read the political foment which existed in this country which led up to the American Revolution, the drafting of the Declaration of Independence, and many views expressed by Jefferson, by Adams, and by others in it's founding.

Also look what happened when the Federalist Party created the seditious/libel laws within the first 10 years of this countries existence. They as a political party did not long endure (though the "Jeffersonians" had), and their party was soon disolved by the very people who founded this country...

I had in fact, in what almost seems a lifetime ago (though it was more around 10 years ago) studied politics, law, etc...and was very much considering running for office. All said, I doubt one of the "common people" could well find their way into office; but nonetheless I put such life behind me in disgust. It's not just a matter of infallibility in many cases; but far worse, and I would say at times even nepharious... In any case, I saw perfect examples of what I would never want to be, and more to the point what I would never want to become.

To be clear, looking at the political scene in the world today, if what I see layed out before me at times is the price one would have to pay to acquire it, then I do not want it. Some prices are too great to pay and I would rather be able to wake up in the morning and face myself/live with myself, then have whatever power one could acquire by sacrificing all of that to attain it. Some prices are just too high to pay...

Further, if I were in such a position, I could find the idea of everyone around me kissing butt and what could out right be described as some form of idolitry (either to me as a person, or to the office I would occupy) to be rather distressing. In the end, I'm not sure I would want to surround myself with a bunch of yes men, that could justify anything, simply because I was the one in a position of power doing it. Else, someone who refuses to say (or report upon) that which needs to be said or reported upon, as utter trajedy could be transpiring without my even knowing :down: Such might not be the people I would want to keep company with...in office or not. Sorry, but that is how I sorta feel about the matter, and how I feel at the prospects of being placed on a pedistal as such...

As to repping people, there is one person I had spoken with prior to joining this board. I have seldom reped him, (though he has been of assist to many people here to earn the rep points he has). I have one time in the past, where I had forgotten something I had previously studied (and he was very well correct on the matter). I probably will again, as he really did help me (as he has others) this morning ;) But friviously, and because it's him, I haven't...

I hope I didn't come off sounding too harsh, in saying this and am sorry if I did...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back