HOT still!! ASilver3

P

Pin

Still confused...

I just received my Arctic Silver 3 and Thermaltake copper shim yesterday. After careful installation and following all the instructions, the temp of my cpu is still the same as before (cpu 60C, mobo 36C); last time i just used the thermal pad of my hsf. And yes, i did clean off the old thermal compound on my hsf and cpu core, then only apply the AS3.

From the AS3 reviews, it is able to keep temp quite low; surely below 50C.

Can anyone please suggest some possible mistakes that i could have made? Thanks.

------
Athlon XP1800+@1.533GHz
Asus A7V333
GlobalWin TAK68 dual fan
2 case fans
Kingston 256MB DDR333
Asus V8200-Pure

#1. Did you apply a very thin coat of AS3?
#2. The temp will drop some after it "sets" for a while.

some pointers:

- cleaned the old stuff off completely, right?
- made sure there was no lint left over?
- you didn't touch either of the surfaces with your fingers, did you? finger oil insulates.
- you can't apply the compound with your fingers, either... use a cleaned edge of a credit card or the like.
- if you can't see your reflection on the bottom of your cleaned heatsink, then you need to scrape some compound onto the contact surface to try to work it into the minute cracks that do exist.

how about a new case like a full tower with an 80mill fan at the bottom drawing cold air in and a 80mill fan near the cpu and heatsink to draw the hot air out.

Originally posted by Pin
cpu 60C, mobo 36C
even if a 36 case temperature is a tad high, it doesn't warrant a 60 degree temperature for his cpu. problem lies in his hsf setup.

Thanks for all suggestions...

I did use credit card edge to even out the paste. Maybe the paste was too thick.

I cleaned off the hsf base, and rub AS3 using plastic bag in between my hand and hsf base to fill the minute pores that exist.

And my HSF "should" be firmly attached...i will check again then re-apply AS3 and make sure it is nicely done.

Thats all then...Thanks!!

Originally posted by taurus
plastic bag, eh? hm... good idea. }:>
thats what it says to use on the arctic silver website

Question

Is Arctic Silver 3 of any use if you don't overclock?
Just curious ...

Perhaps its time for a new HSF combo... or perhaps go splurge on a fandaptor and get a 80mm fan for ur HS (if it doesn't already have it)

The arctic silver only conducts heat... The transfer of heat is great but that doesn't mean squat if u don't have a decent heat sink in the first place to dissipate the heat OR if your fan just isn't pushing enough CFM to do the job.

I got a HHC-001 (the heat pipe hs) with a 7500RPM 60mm fan on it (yes... its very whiny =P) and i got Arctic Silver 2. I'm 24/7 at load because i do folding @ home so my temps are always high. My case temp is only 19degrees but my cpu temp is 49 degreees. (Athlon XP 1800+ btw) The high temp is probably because the temp is being read from UNDER the CPU so is nowhere near a true reading.

I'm gonna get a fandaptor for a 80mm 5000rpm fan soon to give my ears a new frequency to become deaf to. This'll hopefully help dissipate the heat a lot more effciently than it currently is.

Leaving the case off always reduces ur cpu temp unless u got a hardcore 120mm fan sitting just above ur HSF (attached to the side of ur case) sucking out all the hot air in which case leaving the case on is better.

Just a side note... i recently moved my case from next to my monitor to under the desk... the volume change is immense... I can enjoy my music now =P

For a good choice in HSF... www.overclockers.com
www.overclockers.com.au

they got great reviews.

Re: Question

Originally posted by XPMagic
Just curious ...

It reduces the temperature of ur CPU (dependant on ur HSF as well) and MAY lengthen the life of ur chip (has anyone tested this?) if u got high temps but its usually better to keep ur CPU cool rather than let it fry. We don't have the luxury (curse) of Burst technology like the P4's so we do have to worry about our temps. P4's will throttle down if it gets too hot but it also will throttle down if it decides u don't need that much mhz to run a program.

Re: Question

Originally posted by XPMagic
of course it is. it should lower your temps, even if you're not overclocking... which would allow you to maybe get a quieter cpu fan or take a case fan or two out. or you can leave the same fans and have a healthier cpu.

Ok thanx!
I'll get hold of a temperature monitoring utility to see if I need a coolant :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back