Hot Plug & Play and Hot Swap

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Eiji, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

I have this USB 2 Enclosure:

[​IMG]

It is stated that the product is Hot Plug & Play and Hot Swap.

Does that mean I can plug in the USB 2 cable any time (like a USB Pen Drive) and does the hot swap mean I can swap hard drives in and out of the enclosure without any damage or electrical risk while it is plugged into the mains and USB 2 port with the PC on?

2. Taggert_LOA

Taggert_LOA Modding Addict Political User

3. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

I would guess it only means you can plug the USB cable in and out at any time, nothing else. The box doesn't look like it's made for taking the acctual disk out during operation, but the image isn't all that self explanatory. ;)

4. Abbadon2001

Abbadon2001 OSNN Addict

I think it means you can plug it in and disconnect it without having to worry about turning it on and off ( my friends caddy has to be disconnected in windows then turned off then removed from usb). I wouldnt have thought it was possible to change the actual drive in the caddy while it was plugged in and powered on no, but you can just disconnect the caddy, swap the drive then plug it back in again, 2 minute job.

5. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

Ok, here is some more info on the unit :)

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews/review.php?dXJsX3Jldmlld19JRD04MDgmdXJsX3BhZ2U9MQ==

http://www.nanopoint.co.uk/goods_pic/uk/ib-350u_2b.jpg

Flipping the power switch to off and then switching hard drives while the unit is plugged in to mains and USB port is ok or do I still need to unplug it from the USB port and mains?

6. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Unplug it, definately. That's not made for hotswapping the drive (note the bare electronics and traditional connectors inside). Not that it's much extra work to pull two cables. ;)

7. Eiji

Eiji OSNN Addict

Hmm, then the term "Hot Swap" for the ICY Box is misleading since "Hot Plug and Play" refers to the insertion and removal of the USB cable from the PC :/