Hosting a website from your office !

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by G-Money, Oct 20, 2004.

1. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

I was wondering what all it took too host a website from the office.
    As in not having a ISP host it for us. We want to have the site there in the office with the e-mail also !

We have a T1 (1/2) and a URL !

Thansk......

2. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

You'll need a server and the software to run it - something like Apache if you are sticking with XP. Might want some backup and stuff like UPS too depending how critical system is to business....

Not sure what more - anyone?

3. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

Side question.. How do you tie the URL to the IP of the server it would be running off of ??

4. a1ehouse

a1ehouse Chamone M*tha Fu*ka

Done in two ways. Either use a free dns service e.g. www.no-ip.com, and set up your ip address (won't matter if it's dynamic), or register a domain name and ask whoever is registering the name to your ip address - only viable if your ip is static.

5. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

I assume you have permission to do this right? I would advice against doing such things if you don't.

6. G-Money

G-Money Big Air

Yes I do. My step-mom owns the company, shes the one that wants it done !

7. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

basically I would put together or buy a medium spec machine
    install FreeBSD or linux on it to do the Webserving and Mailserving, configure each so its all appears to be working
    then if you already have a domain name of your own registered then I would get some DNS Hosting to store your DNS record information so that people can get to your webserver. The main reason for hosting the DNS somewhere else is so that in the event that your machine fails, or the line does, people can still resolve your IP information even though they cant get to the site completely. People are more likely to believe a site exists if the "Connection Times Out" than if the domain cannot be resolved.

8. ep0niks

ep0niks OSNN Junior Addict

Agree with Geffy but configuring the box is a bit tricky for beginner

There's a lot of HOW TO over the net.. good luck ;)