home network problem

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by fitfella29, Dec 30, 2003.

1. fitfella29

fitfella29 Guest

im trying to network two comps together but when i run the network setup wizard on my pc ( the main computer in the network) i get this "cannot complete the network setup wizard,an error occured during configuration of the network on this computer"

both are running xp,any ideas anyone?

2. Wolf1.8

Wolf1.8 Guest

how are the pc's connected??

3. fitfella29

fitfella29 Guest

a router.

4. Wolf1.8

Wolf1.8 Guest

is the router also a dhcp server??? if so, your pc's should have picked up an address (verify by going to start --> run --> cmd...once in the "DOS" window, type in ipconfig /all ...you should see an ip address with some other info)....if you don't have an IP address try giving the pc's a static address (192.168.1.100 and 192.168.1.101 for example) Also make sure that both PC's are in the same workgroup (rt click on My Computer --> properties, Got to Computer Name tab)

...what type of router???

5. fitfella29

fitfella29 Guest

netgear rp614.

router is working fine just that i cant get them networked to share files and folders etc etc etc

6. Wolf1.8

Wolf1.8 Guest

if the internet is working on both, then protocols should be ok...did you share out folders in windows??? and are the computers in the same workgroup in windows???

7. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

So you mean Internet works fine? In that case file sharing problems are usually caused by the XP firewall (or other software firewall) or permission settings on the folders you share. Also make sure they are properly named and in the same workgroup.

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Most common problem is the firewall setting.
    I always forget to make sure that the firewall accepts connections within a LAN. (i.e. allow communications to and from an ip starting 192.168.x.x)

The other one is actually allowing a folder to be shared.