HL2 and DX9 games on the way..

V

Vorpal

Man NVIDIA is tripping out on mushrooms or something:
http://www.anandtech.com/#20525

They're turning into the secret police... next Microsoft will pull DX9 back!

(I'm hugging and petting on my 9700-Pro right now.... good boy... good boy... daddy loves you).

Funny.... not so long ago I was sitting on a GeForce 2 (was it a 1?) card and laughing as 3DFX went bankrupt. :p

Not sure what to say, this is the first I have heard about this.

when making posts... please refrain from use of terminology such as idiots and the like... that is flame bait...

if you are speaking from a technical standpoint... fair enough... but there is no need for flaming in a matter such as this..

thread and poll edited for sake of sanity...

As long as the Detonator 5x.xx drivers come out soon for my GeForce FX 5200 from Asus, i'll be one happy HL2'er

When it comes to HL2 all you NVIDIA folks are more or less screwed when it comes to performance. Which means I made the right choice to ditch NVIDIA. The top reason I ditched NVIDIA is because every upgrade on an NVIDIA GPU I noticed hardly any increased performance, only new features which meant more slow down.

It's quite sad that NVIDIA bought out 3DFX just so they could be on top which also makes me dislike Microsoft alot.

The best thing about my first ATI card is I can run any game at high resolution without hardly any performance decrease. Most of you know this already.

BTW: Sazaar anything posted on NTFS.ORG's forums is going to be from a technical standpoint think about it. Seems moderators just edit posts because they can, sort of over using there abilities.

Originally posted by S1RE

BTW: Sazaar anything posted on NTFS.ORG's forums is going to be from a technical standpoint think about it. Seems moderators just edit posts because they can, sort of over using there abilities.

it is our job to make sure that discussions such as these do not degenerate into name calling posts... the use of the words I edited is far from technical...

nvidia users will be able to use their products just fine in hl2... the speed will be a little slower with more effects turned on than that on ati cards... but overall gameplay should not be affected...

A little slower I hear half the performance that of an ATI...

Originally posted by Vorpal
Funny.... not so long ago I was sitting on a GeForce 2 (was it a 1?) card and laughing as 3DFX went bankrupt. :p

Grumble grumble........ 3DFX invented 3d games know your history. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have any of over hyped cheating controversial crap.

Originally posted by Vorpal

Grumble grumble........ 3DFX invented 3d games know your history. If it wasn't for them we wouldn't have any of over hyped cheating controversial crap.

LMAO I cannot believe how critical you all are- it's like you point out all the imperfections in a sentence and throw it in someones face. Everyone can't think of everything the first time and no one is perfect... Sazaar on the other hand I think is technically perfect at pointing out all that is wrong and deserves to be left alone, lol...

Ok, S1RE, you're saying that those of us with an NVidia card are screwed when it comes to HL2? i'm guessing you're going by the benchmarks and how they said that it would be unplayable on lower end graphics cards.

Well if that's the case, i guess you weren't keeping up with the Half-Life 2 news that's been around for a few months. for one, it would be able to be played on a low end system, but not be near as graphical as on a higher end system. That's cause of the engine that they took so long to make, which configures itself to your system. and how they said that on a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra it would hit about 10 frames per second. if you think that kind of refresh rate would slow the video down that much, then i'm wondering what your view of "slow" is. probably thinking of the 60 frames per second that it says for the Radeon 9800. you think you'd really notice that much of a difference between 60 frames per second and maybe 20 or so? i highly doubt it.

P.S. sorry for my ranting and raving.:(

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
Ok, S1RE, you're saying that those of us with an NVidia card are screwed when it comes to HL2? i'm guessing you're going by the benchmarks and how they said that it would be unplayable on lower end graphics cards.

Well if that's the case, i guess you weren't keeping up with the Half-Life 2 news that's been around for a few months. for one, it would be able to be played on a low end system, but not be near as graphical as on a higher end system. That's cause of the engine that they took so long to make, which configures itself to your system. and how they said that on a GeForce FX 5200 Ultra it would hit about 10 frames per second. if you think that kind of refresh rate would slow the video down that much, then i'm wondering what your view of "slow" is. probably thinking of the 60 frames per second that it says for the Radeon 9800. you think you'd really notice that much of a difference between 60 frames per second and maybe 20 or so? i highly doubt it.

P.S. sorry for my ranting and raving.:(

yes... there is a massive difference between 20 fps and 60fps...

compared to 60fps and 200fps where the difference is negligible... or less so...

FPS's normally require and average of over 40 fps to be good and playable...

30 is good but "bigger" is better, I'm still lost btw.

Originally posted by Krux
30 is good but "bigger" is better, I'm still lost btw.

in doom III low fps will matter a lot less due to the fact it is a slower paced game than hl2...

and to note.. 30fps and lower usually leads to lag and slide show like effects... never something you want when you are looking to land that all important headshot...

now if you'll excuse me... I must go wet myself playing jedi academy :cool:

ElementalDragon: Well NTSC movies in america are filmed at 29.9 frames per second, and I hear anything above 30 the naked eye can't tell the difference but I've seen that statement proved wrong, all you need is someone who is fairly aquanted with a computer and they could probably guess the frames per second at which a video card is pumping out beautifully rendered 3d scenery.

I'm disappointed that HL2 is being pushed back to this Winter, lets hope it makes it in our hands before 2004 comes.

As for my opinion on frames the higher the better, for instance if your getting 30 frames per second looking at a waterfall- you could look at that same waterfall with a firefight and be getting 23 frames per second, more action the lower the fps. I haven't been keeping up with HL2 (no time) I've hardly had time to keep up with NTFS.org and post in the forums which I just started doing again after 4 months.

If you say that the GeForce FX 5200 Ultra is only gonna be giving you 10 frames per second you should definetly look into getting a better card, if you don't know what 10 frames looks like try locking your refresh rate at the lowest you can go and play a game you like, although I believe that the lowest refresh rate is 60Hz at all resolutions. I usually like 60fps or better if I can't meet 60 then I try for 30, also if you lock the refresh rate while you play the game your frames per second won't jump up and down keeping the gameplay smoother. When you set your refresh rate as high as it can go say 120Hz it's gonna try to give you 120 frames per second, and when you see an ugly monster which consists of 3,000 polys it may slow your frames to 50 and when you look the other way it would go back up to 120 giving an unstable frame rate. Which is what you don't want.

I wont get into the specifics of what FPS the eye can detect again...I've done that before at ather forums, and it can give a guy a bigger headache than an hour at 60Hz refresh rate :D

The primary thing to think here is that while viewing a game at 30-40 FPS may be bareable, every game has its up and down dips in FPS. IOW, the downside dips of 10-20 FPS can really kill a game experience. A good example of this is in the latest JK games. Theres a bug whereas when you enable force feedback, you swing your lightsaber, and all of a sudden your 80-120 FPS takes a nosedive to 20-30 FPS momentarily. For those who own Jedi Knight: Outcast and/or Jedi Academy, try this out and tell me you dont notice the difference :D

It depends. If you have an FX5200 or 5600, dont even think about playing in DX9 mode or high resolutions. If your talking FX5900, it *might* be playable in DX9, but basically in the 30-40 FPS average range. The Det 5.0 drivers are may increase speed, but it has been determined that the most up-to-date betas sacrifice IQ for speed. How much is it noticable? Unknown at this time. But Gabe Newell basically said that the Nv code in the game already sacrifices some IQ to enable some speed, and it still couldn't catch the Radeon 9700 or 9800 cards. In fact, the Rad 9600 Pro was said to be faster than the 5900 Ultra in most benches.

Does this mean that HL2 is unplayable with the 5900? Far from it.
But you'd think that for a card that costs 400-500 USD and was marketed to be able to excel at DX9 games would perform as good or better than its ATI counterparts in said games. Alas, it doesnt, even at reduced IQ.

Quite frankly, this would piss me off. But thats just me.

As far as the 5200 goes, dont expect a good experience with HL2, unless of course your expectations are already low (not flamebaiting).

IMHO, the 5200 just sucks for almost any gaming purposes, especially anything recent. Note: that obviously doesnt mean all games. There are some games out there are relativally easy on the card, but those are an exception to the rule.

The 5200 is essentially a GF2. It replaces the MX series that have performed relativally sucktackular in the past.

Oh, and my view of slow has been defined earlier in this post. The difference between 60 FPS and 20 FPS is like night and day. Try out the JK test I outlined earlier and you'll see what I mean.

Of course, preferences are like opinions, everyones differs. But to say that HL2 would be a good experience on the 5200 to the general public, or especially to hardcore gamers, is really going against the grain.

there is only one problem. they are bringing HL2 out for the xbox. not xbox 2 but the one that is out now and that has an nvidia card in it, so they have a fix for everything but i dont see why they didnt produce it in open GL that way it would be totaly better and nvidia and ati can run it and also the linux stations can run it better. but that is just my 2 cents

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back