Hitachi 2.5" drive weird noises

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by champ2005, Jun 8, 2005.

1. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

Ive have a really strange problem with my brand new 40GB 7200rpm notebook hard disk in my laptop. When the hdd isn't doing anything (like browsing internet or similar) every few minutes it will make this weird high pitched "squeak" sound that will last anywhere between 1-5 seconds. It sounds like a faulty drive, however, ive run every diagnostic program possible (including hitachi's) and there is no fault with the drive.

Is this 'normal' or some warrantable fault?

2. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

no, its definately coming from the hard disk, but thanks for the tip anyway. It only happened after i put the new drive in, and perhaps squeaks the wrong way to describe it. its more like the harddisk's head gets stuck for a while, or its as if its going over bad sectors (of which it doesnt have any).

3. zeke_mo

zeke_mo (value not set) Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Some hitachi drives need a firmware update that fixes a certain noise, get me the model number and I find out if there is one for your hard drive.

EDIT: There zombie :p

Last edited: Jun 9, 2005
  4. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Or maybe even a firmware update. :)

5. zeke_mo

I know it sounds funny, but when I updated my 7200rpm 60GB drive the flash utility said it was a BIOS tool. Maybe they just used a tweaked BIOS flashing tool for it, but thats what its called. I'll double check

6. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

its the 40gb variant of the Travelstar E7K60. i cant really take out the drive to find the serial number as that would require effort :p.

7. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Well if you want this fixed, then some action will be required.

8. zeke_mo

9. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

Model ID HTE726040M9AT00
    Serial Number MRH4X3M4GKYYPB
    Revision MHAOA6AA

Hope that helps. Recently the noise is becoming more prolonged - ill email the store i bought it from see what they say. zeke_mo can you send me the link for that bios flash/tool?

Thanks for all the help so far.

10. maggie

maggie OSNN Junior Addict

11. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

Cool thanks, ill test that out soon.

12. sunsetblvdroute66

sunsetblvdroute66 OSNN One Post Wonder

Same problem as Champ described... also have a 40GB Hitachi Notebook, 7200RPM. Im running the FeatureTool as suggested right now and will report back.

13. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

Oops, forgot about this thread :) Well i ran all the tools on the hitachi site, using all the possible combinations of settings, and it didn't help my problem (though the drive acoustics did reduce seek noise). I guess ill just live with it - its not that bad and the drive itself has no errors whatsoever.

14. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

Well, i finally got fed up and RMA'd the drive, Hitachi said they'll replace it even though they claim its a noise resulting from the power saving mechanisms of the drive.

15. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Hitachi drives use technology thats called Voice Coil, and every now and then make a squeal noise as they recalibrate servo actions to the thermal dynamics of its environment.

You knly need to worry if you hear a high pitched squeal followd by a loud clunk and lots of clicking.