Hiding direct links?

yes, how would I do that? I looked around found anti-leech wasn't much help because you must place like hotlinking protection... I just want to hide my directory so no one can snoope around. anyway I can do this?

This is a stripped down form of the download script I made to control downloads on my site.

PHP:
<?php
// ###############################################
// Filename: getFile.php
// Author: Albert Holtsclaw, www.albybum.net
// Email: albybum@albybum.net
// Installation and use:
//    Copy this script to a text file with the .php extension
//    getFile.php for example.
//
//    Modify the example case section to fit your file information.
//    A new case will need to be created for each file.
//
//    Link to the script with the id of the file you want to download.
//    getFile.php?id=Some_ID
//    http://www.albybum.net/download/getFile.php?id=wow1.4

// Functions
function showError($error)
{
             print "There has been an error. <br />";
             print "Error Code: ".$error;
	return true;
}

// ERROR Lists
// 2021 bandwidth exceeded
// 404 not found

// Set Defaults
$error="404";
$allow=false;

// Retrieve the file id from input 
$id=$_GET['id'];

// Switch, Case block
	switch  ($id)
 	{

// :: EXAMPLE CASE
	   // ###########  THE_ART_OF_SHADOWBLADERY  ###########
	   case "201":
                // File Mime Type
		   $type = 'video/x-ms-wmv';
		// File Name
		   $filename = 'THE_ART_OF_SHADOWBLADERY.wmv';
		// Path to file, relative to this script
		   $path = 'store/THE_ART_OF_SHADOWBLADERY.wmv';
		// Whether to allow this download, set false to stop download
                   $allow=true;
		break;	

// :: TODO - modify this case to fit your file information
           // :: EMPTY CASE
	   // ########### SOME FILENAME COMMENT ###########
	   case "SOME_UNIQUE_ID":
		$type = 'application/zip';
		$filename = 'SOME_FILE.zip';
		$path = 'downloads/store/SOME_FILE.zip';
                $allow=true;
		break;

// :: Default case if nothing matches the ID
	   // ###########  DEFAULT  ###########
	   default:	
		$error="404";
		break;

}

// IF Allow has been set through a file case, allow download.
if ($allow==true)
{
	header("Content-Type: $type");
	header("Content-Disposition: attachment; filename=$filename");
	readfile($path);
}
else
{		
	showError($error);
}

?>

You would need to create a case and provide a unique id, the path, filename, and mime type for each download.

You could then access the file by a url formed like,
http://www.albybum.net/download/getFile.php?id=201

I store all my downloads in http://www.albybum.net/download/store

The "store" directory is locked/restricted so only my script can serve the files to users. This also allows more control of who and how many can download your script with a little extra code.

Last edited:
could this easily be converted to ASP? and is there a way to hide the source line of embedded audio?

yes it could (I'm looking into asp.net 2 myself).

Microsoft has a ton of resource on converting from php to asp.net :)

not sure about hiding a html value though..

Why don't you just put an empty index.html in the folder you want to protect ? It is simple and if somebody doesn't know the exact file name he won't be able to access it, am I wrong ?

For Apache, you can also do this:

Indexes
Sometimes, when you request a directory with no index file (index.php, default.asp etc.), you will instead see a directory listing of all the public files in the current directory. For a lot of people, this can be a nuisance and they'd rather remove the ability of users to view these directory listings. To do this, simply insert the following line in your .htaccess file:

Options -Indexes

This will remove the directory listing option for all directories in and below the one in which the .htaccess file is placed. If someone requests a directory that does not contain any index files (which would be displayed by default), then a 403 error code will be sent to the browser and either a custom error document or a standard one for your server will be displayed.

If you want to enable directory listings for some directories on your server, just create a .htaccess file in those directories and place in it the line:

Options +Indexes

This works in exactly the same way as disabling indexes, except it will enable them instead. If directory listings are already enabled, either through a .htaccess file higher up in the directory structure or in the httpd.conf file, then this setting will have no effect.

http://www.rixort.com/tutorials/apache-htaccess.php

But with a download script and a protected folder, you have true power over the path and access to your downloads.

albybum said:
The "store" directory is locked/restricted so only my script can serve the files to users. This also allows more control of who and how many can download your script with a little extra code.

Im interested in this, can it be down with IIS?

I only have one server with IIS and it is running and intranet invoice system with access and asp. I haven't tried, to be honest.

In theory it should work just fine. If you password protect a folder that should only apply to users connecting that need authentication. PHP [Or ASP for that matter] should have normal directory access as a local restricted user. It should be able to read and serve the file just fine.

I would have to defer that to someone who has more experience with IIS.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back