*Hides from Admins*

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ming, May 2, 2004.

1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Can anyone tell me how I can fry a mobo? Nope, not thinking of Speedy's method. :p

2. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

lighter fluid?

3. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

lol.. no...
    being serious now. thinking of something like overloading the psu.
    happened to an older motherboard of mine.... but now my friend wants to try it. :p
    think he wants to make a 'genuine' claim. :D

4. gonaads

gonaads Beware the G-Man Political User Folding Team

Get a home extension cord, cut off the female end stick a curcuit breaker (10 amp-15 amp) and switch somewhere in the middle of it and connect to yer MoBo to it (at the ATX connector).

Hit the switch and poof... let all da smoke outta it. :p And of course the breaker will kick it and not blow out everything in yer house. :D

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

err... yeah.. i got the last paragraph... lol
    translate the rest. :p

6. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

What, no fires? :(

7. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Fry it how? Just so it doesn't work or visibal heat/fire damage? If the 1st you could do that easy ... set your mobo down and scuff your feet on a rug and keep touching it :)

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

nop.. im afraid i have to disappoint you. friend wants to do it the invisible way. the one where it's difficult to detect the cause of motherboard failure. haha.

some proper replies would be very much appreciated. thx.

*hopes i don't get slapped in the face*

9. Xie

Could get a PSU you no longer like and throw water on it while connected to your mobo. I almost sure that would fry it. :)

ps - might also blow some fuses in your house lol

10. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

yyeah!!! i'll tell my friend that. :p
    if that's the case, i'd rather put an extension cable in the wall socket with the PC connected to it... then add a surge protector on top of that extension cable so that all the spikes get thrown back into it killing off the whole of the PC instead. lol :p

11. gonaads

Power cord... The cord ya use to connect the Tele to the wall plug when it's too far away.

Curcuit breaker... like the ones in yer house for when ya overload a wall plug. Unless yer in an old old house and it still uses fuses in the pannel box.

Aaaaaw hell...

Better idea:

Take the top cover off of yer PSU, use thick jumper wires (solder them in) to jump the power in wires that come from the power cord to the power out wires that go to the MoBo (this way you are bypassing everything inside of the PSU :eek: ). Make sure ya got it unplugged and out of the case first. :D

Now plug it all into a wall plug that is controlled by switch/light swich. Make sure the switch is off... now flip the switch. Again... Poof. :p

Even better.. connect a car battery or a car battery charger to the output wires from the PSU with jumper cables. Lot 'n lots of Amps, guaranteed ta fry somethin. :D

12. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

gonaads.... you're definitely psychotic. hehe :D

13. gonaads

I got a cooked Geforce 3 Vid Card I'm gonna cook at work tommorow or the next day.

Zzzzzzap zzzzzzap. :D

14. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

two eggs, 1/4 cupp bread crumbs, 1/2 cup olive or peanut oil

preheat iron pan over open fire.

flip from 7-15 minutes to suit taste preferance
    yummm

15. Xie

Perhaps someone should urge extreme caution w/ any of the above, taking more then you probably think you need, steps of cation?

16. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

power cord thing with two like battery tester probes, then just randomly gently go around touching different parts of the board.

another good place is the underside

*OSNN can in no way be held responsible for any damage to you, your hardware, loved ones, unloved ones, friends, family, dog, cat, budgie, home or life in general

17. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

Give it to me, I can fry mobos like there's no tomorrow

18. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

just get a piece of wire, connect 2 metal points at random, 1 of them on an earth lug, keep connecting and turning on until it go's bang.

so long as the wires are on the contacts b4 power on there will be no visible traces of the short.

erm no i have never done an insurance scam for customers in this fasion so i could get a nice insurance claim to help us both ;)

19. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

mount it in the case and everything. hopefully steal case, and then take the ends of a plug and cut it off and let them connect on the case there for passing it through the case and mobo
    if not a steel case then do it to the caseing of the PSU. or if anything u can get a ****ty PSU, stop the fan by sticking somehign into it. and let it over heat, the ****ty ones i have found short circuit them selves passing all voltage through board, or if all else fails, pass a electro manget over the mobo while it is running

20. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

damm ****ty, you cant see the word, that sucks