Hibernate and Standby

Tuffgong4

The Donger Need Food!!!!
Political Access
I'm not sure if this is the place I'm supposed to put this thread?..

eventhough I really don't use Standby but I wanted to see what it was like to use hibernate so I enabled it but it won't work...a couple of months ago I installed an update that would fix standby issues and it never worked(I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it) I've tried different things and I can't get my system to hibernate. please help!

It would help to know a little bit more about the problem/question and some system spec's like what os u r using. My best guess is either Windows 2000 Professional or Windows XP as to the best of my knowelge they r the only ones that support both standby and hibernate

WinXP Home
1.6 p4
128MB DDR I know I need more!
40gb HDD
GeForce2 MX 440 64MB
SoundBlaster Live 5.1
24x10x48 CD-R
I'm not sure what else I need to put

glad i had a pop up stopper when i clicked that link !!!!!!

Yeah it's only 1 pop-up but that's 1 too many, isn't it?

a few months ago.. a friend of mine decided to put hibernation on to see what happened.. to his suprise.. his computer wouldnt turn on for another 6months.. it started up to the logon screen and it said "your computer is under hibernation mode.. your computer will automaticlly shut down and will auto load in 6months time".. something like that.. funny as hell i reckon.. thats not suposed to happen is it? :cool:

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
a few months ago.. a friend of mine decided to put hibernation on to see what happened.. to his suprise.. his computer wouldnt turn on for another 6months.. it started up to the logon screen and it said "your computer is under hibernation mode.. your computer will automaticlly shut down and will auto load in 6months time".. something like that.. funny as hell i reckon.. thats not suposed to happen is it? :cool:
you're not serious, are you? sounds like a joke. no reason at all that would happen.

tuffgong.. what exactly happens when you try to put it into hibernation?

im serious taurus, that really did happen.. infact still is i think from the last i heard.. ive seen his computer start up and come up with that pop-up message then watched it automaticlly shut down :eek:

steven says - y arnt u in shool? alex says -you say your ill so why the hell are you up at 3 30 in the morning? jake says -u twat.

cya al

only messin

must be a virus, then.

take a pic and post it! it would be a good for a few laughs. :p

Originally posted by red74soxm
Yeah it's only 1 pop-up but that's 1 too many, isn't it?
1? I got 4 (four!) plus a spyware installer! Got some practice in clicking "No" and "X". ;)

Alex_is_Axel: I don't believe you for a second. Unless it's a really tacky virus.

Its ok Zedric.. im not trying to get you to believe me about it.. i would prove it to you if i could but its hard to take a screen shot when it doesnt even give a chance to log on & be able to save the image.. I was just letting you know, maybe it was a virus, proberbly was tho actually.. ive heard somethings around like that with timers but its a good idea though isnt it to attach it onto the Hibernation and then give it 6months to like sleep :happy: ... pretty funny i though :p

Just to correct Chastity, all of the versions of Windows, from I think Win98 have been able to Hibernate, there were some issues with the original implementations in Win98, it needed a dedicated hibernation partition so no one really bothered.
Windows ME does hibernate in much the same way as Windows 2k and XP do.
Most people that have Manufacturer built WinME machines will know this. If you built your machine and installed WinME then chances are they you would not have Hibernation support.

Since WinME and Win2k, there have only been two things that dictated whether or not a machine could hibernate.
1. Correct Graphics Card Drivers
2. WDM (Windows Driver Model) Audio drivers.

It was the second of the two that normally prevents self built WinME machines from being able to Hibernate. This was due to most manufacturers including VXD (dunno the acronym for this one) drivers which dont support the S3 power mode. So no hibernation.

Alex_is_Axel
Your friends machine (if its for real) probably has some kind of virus on it or else he really screwed it up, if he has WinXP then he can press F8 at the section when the computer is reloading the RAM context from the hard drive and choose the option to "Boot Normally", this will wipe the hiberfil.sys file or atleast remove boot references to it and will force the computer to boot properly. Or he could use some form of DOS (might have to use the NTFS DOS driver from SysInternals and then delete hiberfil.sys from the OS Root directory (ie C:\)

Originally posted by Alex_is_Axel
Its ok Zedric.. im not trying to get you to believe me about it.. i would prove it to you if i could but its hard to take a screen shot when it doesnt even give a chance to log on & be able to save the image..

Use a camera at the crucial moment maybe?

Hibernation vs. Standby......

Hibernation for me ....system acts like it is actually shutdown ( all powered down monitor as well as drives ) with all settings saved. So when you reactivate it in mere seconds you are up and running.
I know of some who have been in hibernation for close to a year.
( then they get up and finally get their A$$ to work)lol

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back