hiberfil & pagefile ??

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by daleholden, Apr 4, 2002.

1. daleholden

daleholden Guest

Hi

Can anybody tell me why i have two file that are big files.

1. hiberfile 523,812kb

2. pagefile 786,432kb

I think the 2nd file used to be call a swap file but cannot find any information out about hiberfile? Why would i need two big files on my C:/ directory?

Can i delete any or are they essential?

2. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Guest

Hiberfil.sys is the file for the Hibernation Mode, when your computer goes into hibernation it moves all information that is held in RAM and places that info into this file.
    Pagefile.sys is your Paging File, it is information held in faster memory to help in the recovery of information, this is good.

3. neoterixx

neoterixx Guest

BUT NO ONE ANSWERED THE QUESTION, why are they so big?

4. Lonman

Lonman Bleh!

Just to piss you off. :eek:

5. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Guest

OK, the hiberfil.sys will match the size/amount of RAM you have, if you have 512Mb of RAM, your hiberfil.sys will be 512Mb. If you have 256Mb of RAM, the Hiberfil.sys will be 256Mb. It matches the size/amount of RAM so that it can guarantee all information open at the time of hibernation will fit in the file.

Pagefile.sys is created by the Operating System to help you get to information recently used/seen. It is faster than normal memory, but slower than RAM. It can be any size you like but the old rule of thumb is/was one-and-a-half times the amount of RAM.

Does this answer your question?

6. neoterixx

neoterixx Guest

Yes it answers the question, I only noticed how high the files were today :)

7. Bytes Back

Bytes Back Ex Police Chief

LMFAO :D