help with outputting info from batch file

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by VenomXt, Mar 29, 2007.

1. VenomXt

VenomXt Blame me for the RAZR's Folding Team

Ok im running a very simple batch file and i want to admend a text file on a server [(located this way)\\servername\share\text.txt] with everything the batchfile displays after being run admended to the text file.

Any ideas?

btw this is the info that is being run inb the .bat

Code:

Prompt $D 
    Prompt $V

Ipconfig /all

ping x.xx.xx.x

tracert  x.xx.xx.x

Pause

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Crude but:
    Redirect the command response to text files then combine them. This works for an unlimited number of commands. There is probably a more ellegant method but I'm tired and a thunder storm is coming in...

Ipconfig /all > \\servername\share\text1.txt
    ping x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text2.txt
    tracert x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text3.txt

copy \\servername\share\text1.txt + \\servername\share\text2.txt + \\servername\share\text3.txt \\servername\share\text.txt
    del \\servername\share\text1.txt
    del \\servername\share\text2.txt
    del \\servername\share\text3.txt

I wasn't sure if you wanted to keep appending to text.txt for multiple runs. If that's the case then just add text.txt as the first file in the copy list. The copy + command appends all files in the string then saves them to the destination file. You might have to add a /Y to force an over write of text.txt without a prompt but I think it runs without the /Y.

Ipconfig /all > \\servername\share\text1.txt
    ping x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text2.txt
    tracert x.xx.xx.x > \\servername\share\text3.txt

copy \\servername\share\text.txt + \\servername\share\text1.txt + \\servername\share\text2.txt + \\servername\share\text3.txt \\servername\share\text.txt
    del \\servername\share\text1.txt
    del \\servername\share\text2.txt
    del \\servername\share\text3.txt

You will need to create an empty text.txt to start or you'll get a file not found.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  3. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

huh? admend? do you mean append?

in which case, why not just run the batch file and redirect to append the output to a text file (ie: test.bat >> \\servername\share\text.txt) or, you could modify the commands in the text file to redirect/appended (ie, in your batch file, run "ping x.x.x.x >> text.txt")

no need to copy after wards.. the single ">" will redirect output to a new file (or overwrite an existing file) .. a double ">>" will append to an existing file.

4. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

5. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

I dont think you can use inc paths in dos. you need to map a network drive to my knowledge. You can do "net use" to do that though.