Help with new comp--hard drive

Its got to be either the refresh rate fix, and or programs running in the background. Unless something major is wrong, as in with the hardware.

Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz No overclocking here.
Mobo Gigabyte GA-8IHXP F7 Bios
1 Gig 1066 ECC RDRAM
29160N SCSI Ultra 160 Controller card
2 ea Fujitsu 33.6 Gigabyte MAM SCSI 15,000 rpm Ultra 160 Hds w/8mb cach each.
1 ea 80 gigabyte WD800JB w/8 mb cache IDE HD
GForce 4 ti 4600 with 128 mb, but only until the next newest nvidia card hits the streets
Sounblaster Audigy Gamer connected to:
Onkyo Integra A9911 90 Watt per channel Integrated amp driving
1 pair of Infinity Kappa 5 Home stereo speakers as the main speakers &
1 Sony 12' 100wpc Subwoofer
DVD rom drive
Plextor 40/12/40/a Cd burner
3Com 3c990 Nic with 3xp processor
True power 550 watt power supply
Lian Li Aluminum case
Win XP Pro:D

The 2 partition set up you had was a nice way to go, you should have left it, OS on C:, and installed all your apps to the D: drive. Partitions have nothing to do with game performance.

I assume you've got all the latest mobo driver's installed from the appropriate web site.

In your reports it shows 'sideband addressing enabled', this is nice when it works right (it doesn't for me), you might try disabling as a test.

Your new system now has a different chipset, so you may want to look hard at the always twitchy Audigy, make sure EAX isn't enabled, and maybe check some SIS FAQ's regarding the Audigy and vice versa. You might just want to pull the Audigy and try a game as a quick test.

:eek:I have been reading over everything and have been trying to figure out how I got so confused. I think I forgot that sony also made desktops. I started rambling about lcd's, etc. I'm a noobie helper so I think I just got a little excited and started typing before thinking. I also need to stop posting crap so late at night, sorry.

I think I made a bad first impression and I just wanted to say that I have never gotten that mixed up before and I am not easily confused(as you can tell this is really getting to me). I have an IQ of 170 and I know quite a lot for only being 19 years old.

Joe

EAX is off, uninstalled audigy, not the problem. When I run a game it feels like I have programs running in the background, which I do not. The mouse gets a little slow and the game plays choppy. Here's the next oddity. Tried running Adobe photoshop and recieved a pop up window telling me System does not have enough RAM to launch Adobe. I have one gig of DDRAM.
I have latest Nvidia drivers 40.72
I don't see anything in bios for Agp rate
Do not know how to turn off v-sync for OGL, or what that is.

I'm very close to taking everything out of the computer and using system restore discs.:mad: Then starting from scratch and go very slowly.
Thanks for everyones suggestions

Hi here's my experience with Gforce cards and choppy games and windows XP Home AND Pro operating systems, I have two
computers of with each of the XP os's

Download and install the latest WHQL detonater drivers.
Go to the proper tab in the display properties page to turn off verticle sync for Open Gl games
Go to the directX diagnostics utility-(start\run\directxdiag-enter), click the more help tab and click the override
tab and set the override value to 85, or a compatable rate mine is at 85.
Download and install the refresh rate fix utility and set rates up for your resolutions.
Try running your games.
One more thing to check, would be to hit ctl-alt-del and click the processes tab and make sure that after a few seconds, that system idle process is at 99 almost all of the time. If it isn't check the list and find the process that is using any more than 0 of the cpu time for an extended perriod, e.g. - longer than a second or two. If it is, you need to eliminate the programs that are using cpu time to make games run smooth, this was the final step that got all my games to fly on winxp home and pro.
Once all these steps are ironed out, your problem should be fixed with games as it took me some time to finaly figure this
out on my own after moving from win 98/ME to win xp systems. I'm not saying for absolute certian, but if you get all these things right, you probably have it! I even had no luck with the refresh override utility that comes with the new 4XXX detonators as they seem to apply only to direct 3d, so I recommend leaving it set at application controlled and using the seperate NVRefresh rate utility you can find on the web, or refreshlock, although I ended up using both of these seperate utilities trying to get things right, the NVrefreshrate utility is the one that finaly straightened things out with my games.

I really wish this would help, although it sounds as though you may have followed some, but not all, bad advice trying to figure
this out already, so yes, you may have to reinstall from recovery cds, but you could try this before hand if you want, and definately after you recover. Some system vendors don't include the detonator drivers with the system and functionality is limited through the control panel. So, installing the detonator 40.72s 1st, and then the other steps is my recommendation for now.

Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz
1 Gig 1066 ECC RDRAM
Geforce4 ti 4600 128mb graphics
2 ea Fujitsu 33.6 Gigabyte SCSI 15,000 rpm Ultra 160 Hds w/8mb cach each.
DVD rom drive
Lian Li Aluminum case

Thanks for everyones suggestions, but nothing seems to work, I tried everything and finally used the system restore discs, still nothing. So this computer is going right back to best buy and I'm gonna do what I should have done and build my own, all my parts are ordered and should be here no later than wednesday. This is what I have coming:
Soyo SY-KT400 Dragon Ultra (Platinum Edition) Motherboard
Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket-A Athlon/XP, Athlon/Duron
Chipset: VIA KT400
FSB: 200/266MHz
RAM: 3xDDR 2.5 V Dimm Sockets (DDR 333/266/200)
IDE: UDMA 66/100/133
Slots:1x AGP(8x), 5x 32-bit PCI
Ports: 2x Serial, 1x parallel printer port, 1x FDD, 6x USB 2.0 (2 rear, 4 front), 1x RJ45 connector
Onboard Audio: CMI 8738
Compatibility: WinXP / Win2000 / WinNT / WinME / Win98S Model#: K7VX4
AMD ATHLON XP 2400 /266 FSB PROCESSOR CPU - RETAIL
Specifications:
CPU: 2.0 GHz
Type: XP 2400 + Thoroughbred
Cache: 256K
BUS: 266 MHz
Socket: A Retail (Box with Heatsink and Fan) Model#: AXDA2400BOX
Lian-Li PC-60 USB B( 1 Ball-Bearing Fan on the Top), 12-Bay, Aluminum Cases. Color: Silver. MID ATX Tower with 4 80mm fans. 2 USB(2.0) ports at the front. Size: 492(L)x210(W)x450(H)mm Total 12 device bays: four 5.25, three3.5 and FIVE hidden. Pentium 4 compatible. Power Supply Sold Separately

Already have my power supply 380 watt antec, my hardrive 80 gig, maxtor 7200 rpm, and crappy dvd, cdrw drives which I'll upgrade later. Let me know what u think.

Good luck tprime!

Sounds like you'll hav a decent comp soon. Remeber though that windows xp has the 60hz refresh rate problem and you will need to learn how to fix it, so keep these solutions in this post of threads in mind, as you will need to solve this problem with your new system that you build, as I had to.

Pentium 4, 2.8 Ghz No overclocking here.
1 Gig 1066 ECC RDRAM
2 ea Fujitsu 33.6 Gigabyte MAM SCSI 15,000 rpm Ultra 160 Hds w/8mb cach each.
GForce 4 ti 4600 with 128 mb, but only until the next newest nvidia card hits the streets
DVD rom drive
Lian Li Aluminum case

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back