Help with new comp--hard drive

T

tprime

Just bought a new comp. Sony Vaio, p4 2.4 ghz, with an 80 gig hard drive. Plugged in my soundblaster audigy gamer, my g-force 4 ti 4400 video card, loaded all my software and then played a couple of games and was not happy with the performance. Come to find out my C: drive is only 20 gigs and almost full, while my D: drive is 60 gigs and empty. How can I make my C: drive larger? Or what do I need to do to fix this?

Let me get this, your using a laptop harddrive and cpu in a desktop?

#1 To solve the harddrive issue buy or download partition magic, that allow you to merge your partitions without losing data. Also, laptop harddrives are slower than desktop harddrives.

#2 Your cpu might be running slower than it should, use cpuid

http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002374/src/download.html

to find out if it is, also check the fsb speed. Check if it is a willamette or northwood core p4. Willamette's suck and northwoods are better.

If everything is normal than buy an AthlonXP and be happy :)

Good luck
Joe

I think he means "cpu" as the computer, not the acctual cpu.

Welcome to the boards btw! Partition Magic is the answer to your question.

Yes, sorry I ment comp, not "cpu". I'll go out and get partition magic. Wierd thing is I just ran Mad onion 3d mark, and recieved like 9600+ marks, but my screen is jerky. Why would a computer come partitioned like that?

what kinda of screen are you using and are you using a refresh rate fixer like reforce to prevent limitation to 60hz... this can make the screen look a little choppy...

explain if you are using a CRT or an LCD screen since LCD is not as good for gaming...

Some people like to have a small system drive they can easily format and reinstall on without loosing all the data on other partitions.

I have a cheap compaq monitor, it's not an LCD monitor. My games worked fine though on my old computer which had an AMD athlon 1.1 ghz. Everything else on my system is the same. I got a copy of partition magic, I'm gonna give that a try, I just hope it's idiot proof. I've already set a restore point and made recovery discs. At work now so I have to wait till tonight to give partition magic a go.

I have never heard of a computer coming with more than one partition, except for the windows 95/fat16 days. Old motherboards also had a limit to partition size, if I remember correctly. I don't think any recent pc's/laptops have had that problem though. I don't know too much about laptop tech support, but if I had to guess I would say that your refresh rate was configured to be the same as the lcd or having two displays is slowing it down. If you haven't already, try(if there is a setting)turning off the laptop's lcd while your using your crt and fooling with the refresh rate. Just to see if it is bad performance try finding a freeware program that displays your framerate, I would tell you one but I have never looked. Try google or www.freewarehome.com.

As for partition magic being idiot proof, I would say yes. It was fairly easy to use.

Good luck,
Joe

Sorry for the confusion, but this is a desktop computer I am talking about here. I used partition magic and changed the partition and expanded the c: drive to 60 gigs. Still getting the choppy game play (especially in MOH). I don't understand it since it played smooth with my old 1.1 athlon, I thought my new 2.4 pentium 4 would truly shine here. As far as the hard drive being partitioned out of the box................thats what I get for being impatient and buying a comp at best buy. Here are my diagnostics from powerstrip, if anyone sees anything please let me know. Thanks for the replies.

Diagnostic report - generated on 11/27/2002
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PowerStrip build - 287
Windows build - v.5.1.2600.2.Service Pack 1
DirectX build - v.5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
OpenGL renderer - (n/a)

System board
Type - SiS SiS651-P4S533VX
BIOS - Award Bios, 08/20/2002
AGP aperture - 64 MB
AGP transfer mechanism - DMA
AGP non-local memory - 125.3 MB
AGP revision - 2.00
AGP transfer rates supported - 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP transfer rate - 4x
Sideband addressing - Enabled
Fast write protocol - (n/a)
AGP texturing - Enabled

Graphics card #1
Identity - NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400
Memory clock - 553.50 MHz
Engine clock - 274.50 MHz
IRQ - 16, not shared
AGP revision - 2.00
AGP transfer rates supported - 1x, 2x, 4x
Current AGP transfer rate - 4x
Sideband addressing - Enabled
Display driver - nv4_disp.dll, v.6.13.10.4072
DirectX driver - nv4_disp.dll, v.6.13.10.4072
Attached monitor - COMPAQ FS740 Color Monitor (Microsoft)
Monitor caps (1) - 1280x1024, 70kHz, 120Hz

Device enumeration
NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4400 (025110DEh) - using IRQ16
AsusTek CPU-to-PCI/AGP bridge (06511039h)
SiS PCI-to-PCI/AGP bridge (00011039h)
SiS PCI-to-ISA bridge (09621039h)
Sony IDE controller (55131039h) - using IRQ10
Sony Modem/serial controller (70131039h) - using IRQ18
Sony Audio device (70121039h) - using IRQ3
Sony Universal serial bus (USB) (70011039h) - using IRQ20
Sony Universal serial bus (USB) (70011039h) - using IRQ21
Sony Universal serial bus (USB) (70011039h) - using IRQ22
Sony Universal serial bus (USB) (70021039h) - using IRQ23
Creative Labs Audio device (00041102h) - using IRQ18
Creative Labs Input controller (70031102h)
Creative Labs Firewire bus (40011102h) - using IRQ19
Sony Ethernet controller (813910ECh) - using IRQ17
Sony Firewire bus (00F21033h) - using IRQ18

Hipster, I don't see a tools tab in system info, please elaborate more for the stupid on how to get to direct x diagnostics.
thanks

Get to system information through the start menu. Start/programs/accessories/system tools.
Then across the top......file, edit, view, tools. In there.

Or you can put this in the system32 folder, go to the control panel & open it there. "DirectX" Don't ask me how to use it but it has a shortcut to the diagnostic tool.

Thanks Hipster, I found it. No problems reported. Although when I run the tests, that white box bouncing around is jerky also.

maybe you have programs running in the background, you shouldn't be running, and there slowing performance? :S

Nope, no programs running, remember, I score well on mad onion's 3d mark 9600+, but i can see the jerky motion while running that also. Here's a question, if you look at my powerstrip diagnostics (post # 8 i believe) I see that it shows Open GL renderer is n/a, why would that be? Since it's a new computer maybe I need to download drivers for directx? I know MOH uses open GL rendering for graphics. Whish I was home to try.

hey all,

just a little response - wondering why nobody has said this yet - but it could just be the v card is roooooooted???

just a little thought????

I don't know people..........I have'nt been this frustated since my days with the infinite loop problem.

i got a few points to make...

1. all sony vaio pcs come with a 20gb C drive and the remainder of the harddrive as D drive. I know several people who have bought one of their PCs and they all had the same situation occur.

2. go into the BIOS and increase the AGP aperture rate to its highest (if u can). Ive read all rubbish about setting it to half ur system memory etc, but ive got 384mb in my system and i set it to 256mb aperture rate (maximum possible). I even set it to that when I only had 256mb ram... Unreal tourney was jumpy as hell on an aperture rate that was lower (128,64,32), and so was colin mcrae rally 2 :/ Upping the aperture rate to max fixed it :D

3. get the latest detonator drivers from http://www.nvidia.com

4. turn off v-sync for OGL cuz otherwise your FPS is capped to the Hz of your monitor.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back